Formula Brakes - Upgrades For 2012 Models To 2013 Specs.

jonny042

Hi there,

Not often I venture into the Sherco forum but thought I would post a link to a post I created in the Gasser forum - it has info, pictures, part numbers, etc. (please confirm part numbers for your cyclinder sizes before ordering!) and detailed explanations about the formula brakes on 2012 models - not universally liked in 2012, but significantly improved for 2013.

Enjoy:

http://www.trialscentral.com/forums/topic/44389-gas-gas-formula-brakes-sherco-to-the-rescue-2013-upgrades/

Jon N.

Good info for some there Jonny! Thankfully, my "12 has the AJP installed, which is fine for me, yet others may need this.

I am amazed at the number of components in the system, yet if it works, it works, some seem to like it !

I thought you were Jono English, guess not.

Are you east or west?

Cheers for your work there!

MC

Good info for some there Jonny! Thankfully, my "12 has the AJP installed, which is fine for me, yet others may need this.

I am amazed at the number of components in the system, yet if it works, it works, some seem to like it !

I thought you were Jono English, guess not.

Are you east or west?

Cheers for your work there!

MC

Not Mr. English, although that's a good guess, and we are good friends. I am actually right in the middle, neither east or west - Thunder Bay, Ontario - 3 hours directly above Duluth,, MN. Pretty lonely for a trials rider up here..... you and I have met a few times in tech (Thanks for volunteering!) My last name is Nelson.

Hopefully the poking around I've done will help a few people. I'm not sure how many bikes were delivered with the Formula units - it can't be very many. Which is too bad, they really are excellent when they are in top form. And you are right the number of components is astounding! Some of them are quite intricate, but they really should be nice when updated.

Any advice on honing? I ordered 320 grit Alum. Oxide flex-hones because that's what I could find to fit the 10 and 9.5mm bores. Also, I am going to have to switch to DOT5 to ensure that all the orings and seals on the clutch side get along, and also guarantee the brake side doesn't swell as it did before.

Well, nice to meet you Mr Nelson. Hope you are not totally snowed in.!

Actually, I think you have me confused with Jon Stoodly as he usually does that tech inspection stuff. He is the old mean guy! I am the younger nice guy! (I think he will find this!) :blush:

On honing something that small, yes I suppose it may be nice to have a small specialty hone the proper size. However, thoughts do come to mind here.

Not having seen one first hand, I have no idea just how much scuffing you may find there, yet if something that small is badly scored or pitted, it may be ruined to begin with, so logic dictates only minor scoring as a repairable condition.

This being the case, I may opt to simply do soomething like glue and wrap a small wooden dowl with crocus cloth then spin it in the electric drill or something to clean her up.

Far as I can tell, one should be able to run the DOT 5 without issue, long as everything is cleaned and flushed from the old stuff. Not sure why you would have swelling problems before with proper seals?

Cheers,

MC

Well, nice to meet you Mr Nelson. Hope you are not totally snowed in.!

Actually, I think you have me confused with Jon Stoodly as he usually does that tech inspection stuff. He is the old mean guy! I am the younger nice guy! (I think he will find this!) :blush:

On honing something that small, yes I suppose it may be nice to have a small specialty hone the proper size. However, thoughts do come to mind here.

Not having seen one first hand, I have no idea just how much scuffing you may find there, yet if something that small is badly scored or pitted, it may be ruined to begin with, so logic dictates only minor scoring as a repairable condition.

This being the case, I may opt to simply do soomething like glue and wrap a small wooden dowl with crocus cloth then spin it in the electric drill or something to clean her up.

Far as I can tell, one should be able to run the DOT 5 without issue, long as everything is cleaned and flushed from the old stuff. Not sure why you would have swelling problems before with proper seals?

Cheers,

MC

I do have you confused, he is "JSETRIALS" on here, isn't he. Sorry about that!

I am optimistic that I can "save" the cylinder bores - they are scored only slightly (more like scuffed a bit) and I would leave them alone if I hadn't found the hones online for reasonable cost. They should be here next week.

As for the o-ring swelling on the last set of seals, I am a bit perplexed by this too. I may have used brake-kleen (brand name) brake cleaner on the parts, which I have since found will dissolve many things including gas gas vinyl graphics. Either that or they had a bad batch of o-rings that were not brake-fluid compatible? Seems a stretch I know, but I do know I have a swollen o-ring on the brake side and did not do anything out of the ordinary.

Thanks for the advice, Jon