Mot Exempt.

jon v8

For anyone with a pre 60 registered or manufactured bike/vehicle. I tried to tax my AJS today and the computer said no - Mot not on record,it runs out on the 20th of Feb.(One side of the form says Mot required,the other side says from the 20th of Nov 2012 its not needed) The new tax disc is from the 1st of march.Tried local post office and online,the helpful lady gave me a number to call.Some time and many options later I got hold of the chap that actually knows - you need a form V112 available here;

http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consum_dg/groups/dg_digitalassets/@dg/@en/@motor/documents/digitalasset/dg_065277.pdf

This will allow the post office to let you get your free disc.I hope,anyway as I didnt have time to get back to the village to try today...

I have a tax disc ! Went to the post office armed with the V112 form filled out - what a waste of time it is.... They dont even keep it or scan it etc,its just a signed declaration that the bike is due a disc without an Mot. Whatever....

Ken - dont get me started on potholes,some around here would take dabs off trials riders they are that deep.And dont hold you breath that the RFL helps with road repairs,someone said only 4% of it goes towards the roads. :wall:

The pre 60 free mot thing will end in tears, mark my words. Maybe nothing to do with a trials related scenario but a barn find car. You heard it here first....... Asking for trouble, another ill thought out plan by this wonderful government. :wall:

I have mixed feelings about the no Mot rule,in one way it saves me money and hassle of getting bikes into town to get tested.The other side is that it ensures that Terry points out what is wrong with my old bangers and makes me put it right.....

I have a feeling there are going to be plenty of old cars/bikes dragged out with perished tyres and duff brakes/steering etc.Not a good recipe really.

• Like 1

I have a feeling there are going to be plenty of old cars/bikes dragged out with perished tyres and duff brakes/steering etc.Not a good recipe really.

I suppose the point is if thats the case the construction and use regs come into play. Lets remember all the mot says is that at the time of the test the vehicle presented passed. I remember when i was a teenager and for my sins ran Lambrettas there was a group of us that used to swap wheels etc to just get it through the mot then immeadiately changed them back. Only one set of legal tyres between the lot of us. Also for instance even with the current mot there is nothing to prove the vehicle that passed the brake test and emmisions is the one presented for test. You could always wheel a car in for those parts that you know will pass to get a result but thats not what jon V8 is getting at and i sort of agree with his point but in reality how many vehicles are we talking about nationwide in any given year?

I agree that its not a great idea to have everyone effectively MOT`ing their own bikes, we all know people who are not as able with the spanners as they think they are, or (in my experience) too bloody tight to change crumbling tyres, wobbly bearings etc,and it could have repercussions if god forbid there was a nasty accident.

I have no legal knowledge but surely there must be a shift in liabilty too, as although it was always the owners responsibility to ensure roadworthiness, at least before you could plead a little ignorance and state that it was after all MOT`ed last week etc, but now you dont have that get-out clause.

I was happy paying £40 per bike a year for a test cert, even though my last one on my HT at a `friendly` test centre involved nothing more than the guy sitting on the saddle, tweaking the horn, saying `nice bike mate, stick it back in the van`!

Honestly, it was inside the test centre less than 2 mins !

I agree that its not a great idea to have everyone effectively MOT`ing their own bikes, we all know people who are not as able with the spanners as they think they are, or (in my experience) too bloody tight to change crumbling tyres, wobbly bearings etc,and it could have repercussions if god forbid there was a nasty accident.

I have no legal knowledge but surely there must be a shift in liabilty too, as although it was always the owners responsibility to ensure roadworthiness, at least before you could plead a little ignorance and state that it was after all MOT`ed last week etc, but now you dont have that get-out clause.

I was happy paying £40 per bike a year for a test cert, even though my last one on my HT at a `friendly` test centre involved nothing more than the guy sitting on the saddle, tweaking the horn, saying `nice bike mate, stick it back in the van`!

Honestly, it was inside the test centre less than 2 mins !

Those that wish to can continue to take their bike for an MOT if they prefer.

• Like 1

There will be the barn / garage finds that are solid enough but on perished tyres that will get dragged out and taxed and used, more likely cars but guarantee it is asking for trouble, it will only take one in a pile up or lose brakes at the wrong moment to cause carnage. In effect if you buy a running barn find you could tax it and drive out of the barn, it will happen.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

There will be the barn / garage finds that are solid enough but on perished tyres that will get dragged out and taxed and used, more likely cars but guarantee it is asking for trouble, it will only take one in a pile up or lose brakes at the wrong moment to cause carnage. In effect if you buy a running barn find you could tax it and drive out of the barn, it will happen.

An MOT is officialy only in efect while it is being carried out. when you leave the station ,it is "YOUR" responcibillity to keep your vehicle in a safe roadworthy condition. Your Insurance will also state that,along the lines of driving with a known fault will void your cover.