Allan Jeffries Honda 250 Motorsport Info

andy m

Hello Andy I had one of these Hondas a few years ago I will try a look out some photos and get the good lady to post them. from memory it handle very well Im sure the steering head angle had been steepened and the swinging arm shortened. I do remember that the tank had been cut in half and a strip removed to narrow it down then welded and filled with copious amounts of body filler.The carb manifold was made from what looked like steel water pipe or conduit pipe as you could still see the thread on it, and brazed to achieve the correct kick out to clear the bottom of the tank as the motor had been lifted not sure by how much though, it also had a large rear sprocket as it was a little over geared but it was brilliant to ride across the open fell and I never struggled through any bogs The mudguards were the black plastic VF type and a little brittle If memory serves. I think my Jeffries went to that collector in France, hope this helps and if any Honda nuts read this Im building a 220 fraser and Im looking for the Seeley type stainless silencer if any one can let me have a contact number I would appreciate very much , regards John.

i had one it was found in a local farmers barn,had a load of paperwork with it which i got at a later date. .i think most of it went with the bike but i will have a look round ,think mcn did reveiw on it and bike mag,they were comparing it to the british bikes of the time.i was quite dissapointed when i got it sorted out as most modern pre 65's would ride much better and felt it would never be a competetive bike in a twin shock class and not eligable to ride in the british bike trials.

think mine ended up in spain.got another old honda now another garage find ,i'll try and put a pic up later.

• 2 months later...

Has anyone got any info or steer me to some good pics of the Jeffries 250 Motorsport from the early 70s?? I know it's in the 4t finale book, any other info out there? Thanks.

This one...

http://sphotos-g.ak....477658847_n.jpg

hi andy i have just got a jefferies honda have you had much responce with the post will be restoring mine soon spoke to nick jefferies yesterday he is real keen to see my bike and i will be going down to meet him in a few weeks time if there is any questions you would like me to ask him about the bikes please let me know and i will try and find out as much as i can for you if you have any more info or pictures that would be great so i can restore mine as original as possible regards john

Cut off the headstock and brought the forks in to replicate Fantic 300 geometry, top tube replaced with box section, swinger shortened 1/2" and motor raised a touch. It could be raised more but I was in a rush owing to other projects and apart from it being a lot more complicated than a simple cut'nshut, I'm not sure the new geometry of drive sprocket, swinging arm pivot and rear sprocket would have been a good thing. Cheapo 26mm carb off Ebay (£25 :lol: ), forks eventually sorted with springs that give me correct sag, new shocks. Tuned (nearenuff :D )length pipe.

Good thumpy bottom end but runs out of puff a bit when revved hard (but then, you don't really need to :lol: )

For their budget price, the Betors work very well. The compression is very progressive but the rebound is not quite as smooth as I would have liked - but like I said, for the money they work well (I'm comparing this with the thick end of £3k I've just spent on the K-Tech suspension for my Ducati 1198 :o )

I had to use the heavier springs (60 lb?) to get the rider sag correct for my 13 stone.