Balance

kev69

Well Ive been in the back yard trying to balance again just static engine off. Not had bike long and new to trials had bike about a month now not had to much time to practice but tried balancing quite a bit. Does it drive everybody mad at first. everybody I see makes it look easy. Is it just practice ? somedays I just can't get it at all just a couple seconds somedays a little longer. Am I just been hard on myself ?

Kev69,

The advice about the tire pressure is spot on! Keep it low (2-3 lbs. or so, front & rear) at first. You will have "Good Days" & "Bad Days" while learning this; I'm certain everyone does/did.

A couple of things I've learned about it:

Keep your back brake locked. I keep my front one locked on also.

Keeping the front wheel turned in your "favorite direction" at first helps. It seems like everyone has a bar direction that they prefer when balancing. Seems like most folks like it with the bars turned to the left. I've kinda learned to practice in both directions, but would have to say I think that I can balance longer with my bars turned to the left, for some reason.....

Try to keep your weight on the footpegs, with very little of your weight on the handlebars (as when you ride....). For myself, it's easier to make "corrections" in which way I want the bike to lean with my legs. When I'm putting too much weight on my bars, even with the bars turned, I tend to fall to one side quicker.

Finally, when I began this balance practice, I noticed it was much easier for me to balance in the grass, or my gravel driveway, than it is on the concrete floor of my barn. I practice mostly on that floor now, because it is harder for me, but mostly to get out of the endless rain we seem to get here in the northwestern corner of Oregon. I have a radio out in my barn, and I'll wait for a song to come on (I'm old, but like classic rock), pick my feet up on the pegs, and try to keep them up there the duration of the song, or even two, if I'm having a "Good Day".... I'm up to 4 lbs. of air in the back, and 5 in the front now. My next step will be stacking some blocks or lumber, and placing the front & rear wheel on those, to simulate being on a slope.

I've been mixing my balance practice with engine off front wheel hopping, and have come to realize that I truly suck at it. If anyone has any hints for that, it'd be appreciated....

Nelly1, and others, just be patient. Figure out how to make it fun, be diligent & stick with it. Balancing will come to ya, but you do have put in a little time. I figure if an Old Goober like myself can learn it, anyone else on the planet should be able to.....

Hope this helps some,

Jimmie

Edited by mr neutron

The main thing to realise is you dont balance a trials bike with your arms. All the balance should come from applying pressure to each foot peg and any weight on the bars is just there to help you balance on the top of the bike not to keep the bike itself in balance. A good tip is when you get up on the bike try applying weight from one foot to another and let the bike rock from side to side a bit. This way you will get to feel the balance point of the bike. Nobody in the world can just stand there perfectly in balance, its all about recognising when the bike is moving from the balance point and applying slightly more weight to either footpeg to bring it back in balance. If you just try to stay perfectly still you will inevitably fall over. Once you get the hang of balancing the bike using weight on the footpegs you can then try doing it with your hands off the bars completely, which is extra difficult because you need to balance both the bike and yourself plus you cant use the front brake.

Here's something different I tried and really it improved my balance drastically try balancing whilst sitting down its near impossible to begin with but after a wee while it becomes easier then stand up and boom after a short time you have it . After this perfect sit down balance and you will be unstoppable.

Hi quick update had a bit more practice after work took all your points on board. Dropped tyre pressure def helped also relaxed in arms and tried to just transfer weight on foot pegs progress def going in right direction. Plus I have two tier decking in garden so placed front wheel down so rear wheel was raised that really helped so much easier :-) so you can get technique sorted. Then when you get back on flat seems easier improved already. Thanks again to everybody who replied

I started by having my front wheel near a curb or a rock so when I turned the bars the wheel would push against the rock it makes it super easy to balance but once I got the feel of balancing the bike I found it became easier to do without the rock.

In the Ryan Young video I think it sais to balance with your hands and not your feet as you can make smaller adjustments with your hands... but I agree with the comments here about using your feet and actually find it easier to balance with hands off the bars a lot of the time.

just my $.02

Turning the bars is more a fine tuning device to your feet. Specially when they are turned and give you a bit of leverage. Like said, downhill puts grip on the front, add more leverage!

One little exercise, though useless in practicle terms, is to sit on the bike with wheel either left or right at normal range. On the side of wheel closest, put heel on ground and toes into front spokes using heel for kickstand, then place other foot into spokes approx opposite side for opposing force. One can just sit there balanced using the front(and bike) to rock under them with the feet!