A.m.l.mclean Edinburgh St.georges 50's 60's

calthedogman

Just been speaking to an old friend of Laurie's called David Lumsden today. Apparently Laurie worked at Ferranti in Edinburgh, he tested incoming materials, similar to quality control. David Lumsden was an engineer at Ferranti. In fact he says that Laurie met his wife nancy who worked there too! You learn something new every day!

Big John

Cant believe the amount of knowledge there is on this Forum. And yes David Lumsden is bang on! Got your book on Friday, and have a a very enjoyable weekend going through it. Cant wait to show it to my big sis.(Fiona) A name I recognised was Jimmy Mulvie. So I'm guessing he was a pal of my dads. Another name I remember my dad talking about from my childhood was someone MacNamarra? Think he might have been a road racer?? A cracking book Big John. Cant believe I didn't know of it. Cheers!!

Jimmy Mulvie and Eric MacNamarra were both trials riders (Edinburgh Southern members) and both at one time Clerk of Courses of the SSDT. Eric actually owned and rode the SSDT with the 350cc Royal Enfield that was built by Bell & Small at the same time as Laurie Maclean's 500 (TFS500).

Thanks for the kind comments about my book, appreciated, glad you enjoyed reading it!

Regards,

Big John

Edited by big john

post-18059-0-13318800-1362584579_thumb.jpgre the dinner dance, mention by section ! pre 75, heres an old photo I found along with a load of others at one of those dinner do things. I can tell you that b in The Royal Arch Halls, in Queen St. Edinburgh. My dad is receiving the McVicar Trophy from Mrs. W Harper, the wife of the club president. Apparently the guy on the right of my dad is Mr. A.Lamb, who was the club president. I know these things because I have a newspaper cutting with the same photo. What the newspaper cutting doesn't tell the dear reader is that the lady with half her face hidden by the trophy was my dear old Mum, Nancy. She was p****d off with that photo till the day she died!!!!!!

The smart gent on the right with the grey slicked-back hair, looking directly at the camera was Dave Fisher, an Edinburgh St George stalwart and a good friend of my late father. Dave was one of the Scottish Six Days Trials' official route markers that was mentioned earlier in this thread!

Big John

Correct, you must be 'Bernie' in that case, as not a lot of people know that information unless they come from Skirling!. Of course I know which year George Noble Snr rode the very bike! I didn't want to 'ramble on' in my first post. Folks from Skirling and Abington had most things, including 500T Nortons and HT5 Ariels back in the period too!

Big John

John, I did not use the phrase "ramble on", rather, "ramble through" which means something completely different. ie a pleasant journey via, as opposed to an unnecessarily lengthy and possibly irrelevant monologue, which latter is certainly not your style.

Edited by 2stroke4stroke