Spindle

bultoboy

two questions,, how much weight would that save.. where have you seen them..

Doesn't matter, it lodges 'in your head'

You can make them yourself - I bought the correct alloy bar on ebay, though I didn't hollow them out, I did it because it's easier to machine accurately on a cheap chinese lathe than steel and doesn't need expensive coatings.

Or you can buy even cheaper used road bike or trialsbike spindles also on ebay and modify them.

Why would you make steel ones?

beta / sherco rear wheel spindles are more than adequate and with some nice alloy spacers save a ton of weight and are easier to maintain.. however i cant see that hollowing one out would add anything.. they are only 17mm diameter. i trust that todays manufacturers would holllow them out if a weight saving could realistically save weight and not make any sacrifices..

I have seen the bike which steve saunders won last years scottish on. I think that had hollow spindles. may not of been ali though. which type/grade of ali can you use as it must be pretty strong.

In the ideal world i guess titanium is the ideal material but who has a bank account that big?

Hi. Duncan Macdonald, Armac Design here. Hollow aluminium spindles are fine if they're made from the correct specification of aluminium, but you can only have a hollow spindle if the outside diameter is large enough to withstand having a hole through the middle of it. Our spindles are not hollow, because the diameter is not large enough (16mm dia); pre65 bikes generally have smaller diameter spindles than modern bikes. If you are using cast iron hubs, there's little point putting an alu spindle through because the weight saving, relatively, is minimal. Best to target the big stuff for weight saving first! cheers, Duncan

• Like 2

well said duncan, I always say go to the dunny and drop last nights tea out and you will save way more than you can drill out of the bike!!!!! :icon_salut:

So so true. It always used to make me laugh when the cycleing fraternity all got wet crotches because they found a component that could save them 4 grams.

Just remember guys the heaviest part of the bike and therefore the best and cheapest place to start weight saving is the monkey that rides it LOL Perhaps thats why i've given up on the titanium this and alloy that cos i'm 17 stone :blush:

Hi Guy's.

This is where the "New", Pre 65, Pit -Bike engined bikes should come into there own, Light in weight, easy to pick up off the deck by young and old alike, cheap to build, buy, and run!!! using Honda Cub wheels from 1962, What more could you ask for in todays, spiraling cost of so called Pre 65????

Regards Charlie.

I ride some of the same trials as mr bliss and i am taller then he is. some of the bikes he has built are a wonder to behold. I have seen his pre 65 creations weigh less then a beta rev. Mr Bliss is a very cleaver man indeed with his cotswolds.