Sorting The Results Out.

andy m

We at Herefordshire Classic trials club unfortunately lost our club sec recently , he passed away a couple of weeks ago he was 45.

He sorted the results and made a good job of it. Of course we left him to it and now we have a trial coming up and none of us have a clue how to sort results etc. We need a simple system for emailing the results and no doubt a few people still want them in the post.

We do not have a web site but have a small FB page. I'm sure we can muster through if it's simple enough.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance

• Like 1

You should also check that the event permit and insurance details for you and the landowners have been completed satisfactorily with either ACU or AMCA.

If you need a hand with that contact me via TC. I am a club trials sec. Mick

You can get results on TC simply by emailing to news AT trialscentral.com - I will post on your behalf. Unfortunately I can't do pre-event stuff like event calendar entries. TC is only me (and not some massive multinational conglomerate as some people seem to think!) and I have a demanding full-time job that's needed to pay the bills so I simply don't have time, but results publishing is quick and easy. Once you get your head round things you can register to post your stuff on TC yourself.

unless i misunderstand you, you want to know how to work out the results.

most clubs use an excel spreadsheet and then use excel's sort functions. way back in the day (before win95) we had a guy write a programme in qbasic but with everyoen having excel it's much easier to sue and then manipulate the data.

all you need do is write out each rider number, name and class (eg e for expert) and then their section scores alongside. using excel's "sum" function you can then add them all up.

you can then use copy and paste and the sort function ("A:Z" button) to move every rider from numerical order (eg 1 to 50) to by class, and once you've done that use sort ("A:Z" button) to sort each class by marks lost.

now you could then decide ties by reading through by hand the most cleans, ones, etc --> if your really clever you can write a rule/macro (?) in excel to do this.

if you haven't got excel on your PC, there is a free programme called Open Office (i think it's still going) that does essentially the same job.

example of "bare" results - here (pdf file)

example of re-arranged results taken over to word to look nice here (pdf)

I agree. A lap top and excel is all you need. Even an iPhone using apples "numbers" app will do it. This data can be used for loads of stuff.

There are plenty of web based how too guides for excel.

It's not nice losing a valued club member so young. I'm sure everyone on here hopes the family is bearing up.

Edited by pindie

Not sorted yet. OTF you need to empty your mailbox. Have sent you a msg via FB.

We have a meeting tonight to try to sort things but no one round the table will be a wizard on the computer. Thanks. :dunce:

Not sorted yet. OTF you need to empty your mailbox. Have sent you a msg via FB.

We have a meeting tonight to try to sort things but no one round the table will be a wizard on the computer. Thanks. :dunce:

Sent you a copy template and a completed one, sorry about the inbox now emptied, for you to have a look at. You will need exel to use and view it but it's a doddle to use. If i can be of any more help you have my number and e mail addy.

God i'm ruining my image LOL :blush: