Bsa Bantam Conversion

bultoboy

Down this neck of the woods the BMCA have a specials class so allows me to ride my Bantam with a Delorto and Marzocchis, I am going to bite the bullet to get the forks sorted, having jus come across some Roadholder sliders it would be rude not to mate them up with some other Marzocchis I have in stock. Also have a couple of Amals to try out. :closedeyes:

• Like 1

OTF, I wasnt having a go,just trying to encourage people to build bikes and enjoy them,from scratch or an old nail - whatever.(And trying to keep money out of it)The point I was trying to make is that the satisfaction from making a trials bike up from bits or converting an old road bike is immense.I dont know about you but a big part of P65/Twinshock trials is seeing the creations of the riders and chatting to them about what they have done,how its going etc.To me thats the whole spirit of what we do,not just cleaning section after section,or collecting pots.

Jon i wasnt either just think it would make more financial sense to sell the bits and buy a T/S or ACM as some others have said from the proceeds. Now if it had been a running D14 then the equation might have been different but engine rebuilds swallow inordinate amounts of money. Agreed a lot of satisfaction to be had "building your own special" but from a financial point of view you should at least start with a runner and preferably a trail bike cos the wheels forks etc are all there already. You cant keep money out of it because in the world we live in everything costs something and you have to give it to somebody. I mean how much apart from the main frame diamond and motor would he be able to use ? Just trying to give advice from someone who has burnt more money than would ever make sense on an endless stream of moneypits disguised as trials bikes. Fact is whatever you think it's gonna cost quadruple it then add some. Even runners off flea bay are usually ***** and we all have regretted buying somebody elses bodge up and vowed never again. But we still keep falling for the same old same old. Hopefully now i've finally learnt to break it up before you get in too deep.

Do appreciate your sentiments though Jon but lets face it some have a head start with piles of usefull bits and equipment and the skills to use it. Some arent so lucky. "P65" is and always will be the most expensive of arts they are ALL specials and require LOADS of time and engineering skills just to keep them running.

There are a couple of Bantams round here that were done for reasonable money, always "work in progress" type bikes. As OTF says depends on your level of skills and what you can lay your hands on etc. Usually the frame loop engine and maybe hubs are all that's used. A std frame can be modified, you need a new sub frame and swing arm or maybe use a cub s/arm. But as I said earlier I'd avoid the 3 spd engines.

• Like 2

Here's my Bant. I reckon I built it for about £1200 but my old man does have extensive machining, welding facilities etc.

The swingarm is lengthened (made from a Bantam and a C15) and the loops moved to suit the Bantam frame. Forks have suzuki internals which I fitted myself.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/76022002@N08/8553104754/in/photostream

http://www.flickr.com/photos/76022002@N08/8552001115/in/photostream/

• Like 3

Here's my Bant. I reckon I built it for about £1200 but my old man does have extensive machining, welding facilities etc.

The swingarm is lengthened (made from a Bantam and a C15) and the loops moved to suit the Bantam frame. Forks have suzuki internals which I fitted myself.

http://www.flickr.co.../in/photostream

http://www.flickr.co...in/photostream/

Nice bike as i said £1000 upwards not 3sp and access to extensive welding and machining facilities. QED

• 1 month later...

• 1 month later...

I dunno but I seems if you ask enough people you can do stuff pretty cheaply, I got my cub pretty much complete in bits for £600. My d1 is a fun little bike and only spent about 150-200 making it more suited for trials, it's in no way competitive but it's fun and a nice little bike... Guess it's just up to you what you want to do with it when it's done.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

http://www.flickr.co.../in/photostream

http://www.flickr.co...in/photostream/

hi just to say I think this is one of the best looking bantam trials iv seen.i am building one myself and am looking to source a silencer the same as yours,could you point me in the right direction as to where I could get one from please.mine is a d7 with a fantic 200 front end, a fantic 200 swinging arm ,wheels and tank,and im about to alter the sump guard/bottom frame tube.cheers.

• 5 weeks later...

Hi Guy's.

After getting back from the Manx Classic trial, I find that the Bantam that one of my guys rode was really not up to the job?

But he did only have it over in the IOM as a stop gap, while another bike got built.

And with a last minute entry into the Classic, and struggling for three parts of the first day, and doing really well on a bike that was not up to the job, he fell in love with the little Bantam.

Now I need to build a bike that is better than the one he rode. and update the forks ,frame and engine, so I have made a start.

a D14 frame is now in my hands for conversion ,to something more into todays trends. I will build a new subframe and swinging arm and fit better Mz forks and 14" rear shocks that work.

I honestly feel that a Yamaha TY front brake is a must for the IOM? have you ridden there downhill drops. Engine is late, and I will fit a RGR piston to get maximum cc's.

Is there anything else that you guy's suggest??? I must say that I am being pointed in the right direction from one of TC's Bantam experts.

Regards Charlie.

• Like 1

Hi Guy's.

After getting back from the Manx Classic trial, I find that the Bantam that one of my guys rode was really not up to the job?

But he did only have it over in the IOM as a stop gap, while another bike got built.

And with a last minute entry into the Classic, and struggling for three parts of the first day, and doing really well on a bike that was not up to the job, he fell in love with the little Bantam.

Now I need to build a bike that is better than the one he rode. and update the forks ,frame and engine, so I have made a start.

a D14 frame is now in my hands for conversion ,to something more into todays trends. I will build a new subframe and swinging arm and fit better Mz forks and 14" rear shocks that work.

I honestly feel that a Yamaha TY front brake is a must for the IOM? have you ridden there downhill drops. Engine is late, and I will fit a RGR piston to get maximum cc's.

Is there anything else that you guy's suggest??? I must say that I am being pointed in the right direction from one of TC's Bantam experts.

Regards Charlie.

Charlie,

I've used MZ forks in my Bantam with a TY175 front wheel, the TY spindle is too small dia for one fork leg, so you need a either a spacer or a new spindle ( the TY spindle is a little bit short anyway) with a larger shoulder on it. If you want to save some money on yokes, those billet yokes are a tad expensive for me, you can use Kawasaki KX80 yokes, almost a straight swap (see my photo in the "Fuel tanks" thread) and they don't look out of place.

Cheers.