Early Montesa 247 Cota Electronic Ignition

triple_x

Hi

Some of you will know that I have been restoring my early Cota over the past 12 months.

I have been searching for an Electronic Ignition system for the past 6 months, not because the original setup was unreliable, just that I could not be bothered to take the flwheel cover off every week to let the condensation dry out. Then fiddle setting/cleaning/checking the points gap through the flywheel.

Am I lazy? Perhaps but really I just want simpler maintenance and more reliability!

My solution was sorted at Telford, Peter at Elextrec World thought their Montesa 348/9 STK-349 kit may fit but the flywheel weighs 3.7 Kg as opposed to 3KG on my 247.

The kit fitted like a glove, dead simple to time and the bike started second kick and sounds sweet. Tried it at Bath classic today (only 3 sections and half a lap, twisted my back and retired) but the variable advance properties of the system were impressive, giving a very smooth power delivery even with the heavier that standard flywheel.

Will run it this weekend at the West of England SM round before deciding whether to skim the weight off the flywheel.

Hope this is of interest.

Kind regards

Martin

Martin,

Would be great if you can keep this updated as i too was trying to find an electronic ignition for my 79/80 247c as i'm not very mechanically minded and thought it would be much better for me.

What age is your bike - and some pics would be great.

cheers

The Wobbler

Martin,

Thanks for that - Mine is the later model with the clutch lever on the top of the casing rather than the underneath.

It's also - Slightly more bashed about than yours - I'll try to post some photo's later in the week.

Keep me updated

Cheers

The Wobbler....

Good stuff Martin,keep it going.Hope your back is on the mend.... I'd very much like to have a decent go on your Mont one day,perhaps put it through a few sections so I can see what I'm likely to end up with.I did toy with the idea of selling both my Monts a few weeks back,but concluded there isnt much point.They will just have to sit and wait a while for me to restore them....

Hi

I rode the Montesa in the West of England round of the SM champs last Sunday.

Conditions were challenging, not the organisers fault just a heavy downpour overnight.

The Elextrex system worked fine and was a lot better than the points set up even with the heavier flywheel!

Will start playing with the plug gap now.

Regards

Martin

Edited by triple_x

Hi

I have a slow action grip on my bike.

The performance was OK so I am not unhappy, just a bit softer but better downhill on overun.

I just take the view if it ain't broke don't fix it.

It suits my ability, but as said earlier I will play with the plug gap.

Currently .028" will try .035" which will give me a longer burn.

Doing the Cotswold Cup this weekend so will update.

Regards

Martin

Edited by triple_x

Martin,I think 28thou is plenty for a plug gap,increasing it will only put more strain on the rest of the ignition system - esp under heavy load/wide throttle openings etc.My experience with igniton systems on Rover v8's running Lpg has shown that a reliable spark is all you need,Lpg being harder to ignite than petrol.The wide gap of the platinum plugs on later RR's and Discovery II's gave alot of problems with burnt out plug leads and coil tops.Going back to a standard NGK plug with a 25thou gap makes the leads and coils last far longer,cuts down on misfires and wayward fuel trims.

If you want to widen the gap I would suggest you scope the HT lead and make sure the peak voltage is kept below 20Kv.

Hope I'll get time to sort out my AJS properly for the Cotswold,I'm on a course fri/sat,so it might be an oil the chain and fill it with fuel job...

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

Progress so far.

Done two Sammy Miller rounds.

Ignition system works fine, much better spead of power and more important, easier starting.

Gone back to .028" plug gap.

Still using the heavier flywheel (3.7 not 3.0kg) which seems fine.

Elextrex world system is simple and works for me!

Just got to improve my riding!!!!

Regards

Martin

• 4 weeks later...

Martin,

i've just spoken to elxtrec World and they suggested if I placed an order with the requiorement for a lighter flywheel they could supply as to my requirements.

Is the system working fine and does this sound like a reasonable line for me to take ??

Cheers

The Wobbler