Is Possible To Reconstruct Exhaust Silencer?

koby

Hello, try someone fill exhaust silencer with new cotton? Is it possible? New silencer costs about 400,- Euro, there is too much... Why? On Sherco costed 205,- Euro... :-/ I have about 120 Hours and silencer ist completely dead, no power in the low round, only a lot of noise...

Which shop has best price on Ossa original parts?

Thank you for answers :-)

Yes, you can repack a silencer with new material. It is not cotton and I would not recommend using cotton because of the fire danger.

I do not know how your silencer is assembled but on my Gas Gas, I simply drilled out the 4 rivets that hold the end cap on, cleaned out the old material repacked with fiberglass batting and reassembled the end cap. I choe to use threaded inserts and screws rather than rivets to make it easier to repack in the future.

It will be an access hole cut and patch job on the ossa, looking at the silencer I would imagine the easiest way in is through the most flat part which faces the rear tire. I don't know how the internals are laid out though so not sure how the clean out and repackage will go

Ok, I am going to try it :-) i will clean lead-in too of course...

I have question, how I find out, how much of new material can be use? Thank you. I dont want new material pack too loose neither too tight...

And buy this type of material http://trialstribulations.net/images/products/silencer400_1024x768.jpg oder this http://www.motonational.com.au/product_images/med_Picture_660.jpg ? I think the first type ist right. Thank you so much.

Edited by koby

Yes, I would suspect the first type of "loose" packing to be the best sort to use.

Take pictures!

I do not believe this has been done before so any documentation you can upload will be useful for the future.

where you cut, what the inside looks like, what you removed, what you put back in, how you patched the hole etc. etc.

that is exactly where I meant as it appears to be the most accessible and flattest part of the exhaust.

You are braver than me, although it sounds like you were looking to buy a new one anyway so really you have nothing to lose if it doesn't work out.

Good luck!

Koby , take off the exhaust and cut in the area that you cannot see , on the other side. This will look a lot better when you put it together.

Do you run your Ossa on 80/1 or 100/1 oil petrol ?

I would do it on the other side also. But if possible cut out a narrower but longer part, this makes it easier to re-fill.

Koby , take off the exhaust and cut in the area that you cannot see , on the other side. This will look a lot better when you put it together.

Do you run your Ossa on 80/1 or 100/1 oil petrol ?

Thanks everybody!

Ok, thats looks like a good idea, I try take off on upper side :-) I run on 100/1 premix. First 100 clocks on Castrol TTS racing - I think this is problem... And now I run on Ipone samurai racing 100% syntetic...

Do you prefer to close the exhaust by welding or by rivets? All friends prefer welding technology, but on this forum I see mostly join using rivets.

If you have any good ideas, come with it here :-) Thanks. I will take pics from this operation for you!

Hi, today I tryed repacking, but the ossa silencer is absolutely unfriendly to repacking with new material. :-((

First one I cleaned the access pipe - after 120 Hours was totally full. Now there looks like as new part, shining without any carbon.

But second action - repacking silencer is unsuccessful for this time... :(

1) original material was in very good condition, almost without oil, carbon etc... And material is from factory very very tight!

2) Problem is in holes on pipe in silencer... There are completely clogged, sticky of oil, carbon...

3) I cut silencer on upper and right side. Still I think this is best place. But pipe is somewhere only 2mm!!!! from end of construction silencer! Pipe almost nowhere isnt in the middle of silencer...

4) There are 3 sectors... First - pipe with holes, material is scourer or aluminium cotton - probably due to higt temperatuer of gas... Second - pipe WITHOUT HOLES with classical trial material and third - pipe with holes and material... There is very dificulty put out old material and then clean the pipe, because there isnt place for manipulation.. Pipe look like roller coaster... :-/

5) Gas gas, sherco , Beta are definitely easier to refill than Ossa.

6) It would be best way to clean holes in pipe without cut out, but Its not possilble... :-/

Some photos will be on forum tomorow...

Good morning, I share photos dsc0155ks.th.jpg

And here you can see poblem with silencer. dsc0156t.th.jpg

Answer is cut out complete to corners, but it will be still difficult to clean a pipe from oil with wirebrush, but it is last hope... And then you must go to plumper to make cover plate...

gasgas249uk: Thank you ;-)

I will try next weekend ;-)

Yes, it is definitely cheaper :-) This week I buy a new silencer for competitions and refilled silencer I will use on training, I hope :-)

I have 120 hours ( hobby style, without full trottle etc- I am beginner, I have ridden for 10 months ) and original piston, do you think is possible to use petrol mix 110/1 for longer life time of new silencer ? Now its 100/1, Ipone samurai racing 100 synt. - strawberry.

Thanks a lot!

Edited by koby