Fly Wheel Removal

skyline1

Wont make any difference to the handling but as others have stated the weight is there to help tame the motor and make it more fit for purpose i.e. as used in a trials bike. Removal will just make the motor much more snappy and likely to stall when negotiating tight turns and will break traction which is quite important to maintain in trials. Up to you but the Beta is one of the best bikes IMHO for traction and as most bikes perform way way way beyond the capabilities of the rider I would leave well alone.

The other way to think about it is that enduro and MX bikes add flywheel weight to make the bike better suited to off road / cross country conditions

MX is about the only dirt sport that flywheel weight does not really improve

I wouldn't even consider removing it from my Evo

Edited by 0007

I took mine off my 200 and it changed it for the better big time. More accurate, easier to get up things, way better control off the throttle for mile long wheelies! Take it off and test? If you don't like I'd put it back on. Weirdly I get better grip with it off as you can actually feel for grip with the throttle. You can't do that with a load of needless extra mass.

You may need a centre punch to tap the edges of those two chamfer headed bolts. One of mine was seized but a tap loosened it. Once those two are out the actual weight is a disc of metal and lifts of the main body of the flywheel. If you suffer from a feeling of being "pushed" on after you shut the throttle that will disappear once the weight is removed. You can also remove the plastic ring spacer on the side case as well. If you don't like how it feels it'll take two minutes to pop it back on. I live in Wales where it is always wet, slippery and muddy. My local training ground is estuary clay/silt/mud and concrete. I don not seem to have issues finding grip from removing it but it doe increase feel a lot in my opinion. Removing it may even help big end bearings live longer as well?

Edited by pindie

Yes to all three. Makes the bike far more responsive and controllable. Mines a 200 so having the extra zap is handy. It is even handier that when you shut the throttle the thrust stops when you expect it to.

Well I took the flyweight off & spent the whole day out on my bike yesterday. I Loved it, much more responsive, power on almost instant when I wanted it & off when I wanted rather than getting that slight delay & the pushing feeling when coming off the revs.

I need to do some more testing in the wet as the ground was hard & frozen yesterday. I must say I could feel the bike better, when I did loose traction I could feel it & adjusted the revs & riding position to suit.

Highly recommended even if just to have a go & compare.

I found the same and I think I get better grip as I can feel what I'm doing. Trials bikes do not have a "wild" hit like mx or enduro bikes so in my opinion they don't need slowing down but you do need feel.