Sammy Miller Round 1, Devon

I entered my first "Sammy Miller" round last weekend down in Devon, a 500mile round trip.

It was a bit of a baptism of fire as have never encountered such slippery, claggy mud and much respect to the guys who went round for low scores as I really struggled to find grip.

I understand the club couldn't use their usual "Vic Ashford" trial sections but I really was disappointed with the continuous muddy going.

The trial ended with just one section in a clear rocky stream..heaven!

Is this typical of a West Country trial or was I just unlucky with the timing and weather?

The organisation, scenery and friendliness were first class and would love to return.. a highlight being a delicious cornish pasty and coffee at half distance..almost worth the trip alone!

Personally I had a great time.

Yes the course was hard, but it was hard for everyone but that was down to the weather.

I had a Terrible ride, it just all went wrong.

But that is what makes Trials great, we just don't know what to expect!

Good organisation, freindly people and getting out there on a 44 year old motorcycle.

I certainly will be back next year, God willing.

Regards Martin

Edited by triple_x

The normal 'Ashford' route has a good mix of rock streams, mud and ground embedded with large round rocks. They had to change venue this year because of a clash with another trial that never actually went ahead in the end.

The trial is not usually as hard as that, as mentioned above, the weather played a large part in the difficulty of some sections and you needed to get a move on before the worst of them cut up. Not the trial for a late number... I did enjoy some of those big gear sections though.

Definitely go back next year, you'll enjoy the mix of sections at the other venue, it won't (intentionally) be as difficult and this series needs support as it would be a crying shame to lose it and it's down to only 7 rounds this year.

Hopefully this weekend's Golden Valley round will be on as it is snowing here at the moment and the forecast doesn't look good.

Must admit when I read Andys post , who I know well incidentally, I was surprised as I have enjoyed many trials down in the west country with the West of England Club, Mortonhampstead and Otter Vale Clubs and have always loved the terrain and felt quite jealous of the riders down there having such lovely venues to enjoy.

In fact it sounded more like a trial at Teversal than what I would have expected from riding down there.

I agree with Woody you should go back next year as hopefully things will be back to normal.

Agree with B40rt rocks rock sorry jonV8 but I hate mud with a vengeance as anybody who rides the trials I lay out will have noticed. I normally lay sections to avoid the damn stuff.

I think we are all suffering with the weather at the moment and I cant remember such a long spell of totally crap weather for ages knackering up the trials calendar. Just keep your fingers crossed for a long hot dry Summer. :popcorn:

• Like 1

almost all trials down here (say the broader south east) are almost exclusively mud, banks, cambers, roots, logs, etc. rocks are rare exotica!

put the boot on the other foot - our guys come back from the north (or west country) and tell tales of trials exclusively on this strange stuff called rocks which they struggle with, yet find it baffling that the locals can't cope with a little wet stuff .....

almost all trials down here (say the broader south east) are almost exclusively mud, banks, cambers, roots, logs, etc. rocks are rare exotica!

put the boot on the other foot - our guys come back from the north (or west country) and tell tales of trials exclusively on this strange stuff called rocks which they struggle with, yet find it baffling that the locals can't cope with a little wet stuff .....

touché horses for courses we all like to ride what we feel comfy with plus I hate having to clean the bike when it looks like it's been dragged backwards through a swamp. At least we are all riding our bikes.

I just enjoy the study of finding grip in mud,there are so many types and it can change dramatically,esp during a multi lap trial.Often the second lap can be very slippery after everyone has gone through,but sometimes a bit of sun or even just the bikes going through will dry it up and make more grip available on the the next laps

Steve Saunders on his Honda RTL were absolute magic to watch on mud - he could find grip where there was none,often just difficult to stand up on.Real skill.

Hope its not as cold as the forecast says in the morning or I can see my carb freezing up again,like it did at the Guy Fawkes....

One of the best things about riding national trials is experincing the differant types of terrain, I personally hate sand. Chalk, ice and limestone are next on my list.

I have always found the Miller series very good so have another go next year, shame it had to be one of the events furtherest away from you, thats the reason i have only travelled down part of England once or twice.