What's Happened To Trials In The Midland Centre ?

pjr

I wonder if its not just the midland centre but a countrywide problem that our sport is dying, just showing itself first in your centre rather than any other.

Without question younger riders even in their 30's are getting thinner on the ground in every centre, where will we be in 10 years?

Trials in Yorkshire, don't seem to be suffering (apart from the bloody weather lately)

The last Richmond one I did at Parkgate, had a 10.30 start and vans were still arriving, up to about 11am, with the car park field already full and the queue at sign on was still 20 deep at 10.30am

I think the trial got going at about 11am and I think the entry was about 100+ as a quick ready reckon

There were no queues at sections even on the first lap, because the trial was well spread out, with a group of sections, then a decent trek to the next one through fields/moor or woods

Maybe it was because there hadn't been a trial for ages or their trials venues are held in great countryside?

stourbridge trials have a reputation for having a routes suitable for all the above mentioned , cant see how they can make the easy route any easier

They may well run an easy route, but all it says on the event calendar is two routes?

Might be worth stating a dead easy route, how do new riders know what to expect?

• Like 1

Richmond have been getting lots of entries for years, for my two pennarth I think it is mainly due to the fact that they have some of the best venues in the world (yes the world !), it is a pleasure to get your bike out and go ride round their venues regardless of how easy or hard the trials are. They also run no stop trials which I am assured by my (apparently much better qualified) peers reduces the chance of high numbers of entries ! My local club like most in the area have also seen a reduction in entries, my theory on that one is we have all turned into wimps and cave in to the demands for more "Quality time", what happened to going for a days hard trialling, call at the local pub with all the mates you made at the trial for a pint (or seven in the old days !), then home to find your better half (allegedly) happy to see you and with a little luck some snap being made for the family to have their Sunday dinner together (or was that all just a false memory from my stewed old brain cells !)

• Like 2

They may well run an easy route, but all it says on the event calendar is two routes?

Might be worth stating a dead easy route, how do new riders know what to expect?

yes two routes, easy and even easier

Edited by spudsdad

perhaps its down to the venues used, most are now worn out ,endless mud and tree roots,

could do with using the clee hills again (still open to the mx boys!!!)

most rocky venue in the midland centre must now be leamingtons victory field !

Richmond have been getting lots of entries for years, for my two pennarth I think it is mainly due to the fact that they have some of the best venues in the world (yes the world !), it is a pleasure to get your bike out and go ride round their venues regardless of how easy or hard the trials are. They also run no stop trials which I am assured by my (apparently much better qualified) peers reduces the chance of high numbers of entries ! My local club like most in the area have also seen a reduction in entries, my theory on that one is we have all turned into wimps and cave in to the demands for more "Quality time", what happened to going for a days hard trialling, call at the local pub with all the mates you made at the trial for a pint (or seven in the old days !), then home to find your better half (allegedly) happy to see you and with a little luck some snap being made for the family to have their Sunday dinner together (or was that all just a false memory from my stewed old brain cells !)

Whist the entries are always good may i suggest you look at the ages of the riders at RMC events? Even the Gerald Simpson trial has a handful of riders from our centre (down south) and this just masks the fact that there is a decline in overall numbers.

I also think that the way things are going as far as the national Park planning permission is concerned, that trials may not be allowed in 10 years time in parts of the area. I do know that routes in the 3 day are adjusted to take into account parks views, so everything in the garden isnt always what it seems.

Whist the entries are always good may i suggest you look at the ages of the riders at RMC events? Even the Gerald Simpson trial has a handful of riders from our centre (down south) and this just masks the fact that there is a decline in overall numbers.

I also think that the way things are going as far as the national Park planning permission is concerned, that trials may not be allowed in 10 years time in parts of the area. I do know that routes in the 3 day are adjusted to take into account parks views, so everything in the garden isnt always what it seems.

Bloody National Park and Natural England, two quangos that add not a lot

Farming and lead mining have made the Dales what they are, they are man made and they should leave it to the farmers to look after the Dales as they have done for 300 years, they've done a grand job

It's the farmers' land, so if they want to allow trials on their land, they should be allowed to

• Like 1

Bloody National Park and Natural England, two quangos that add not a lot

Farming and lead mining have made the Dales what they are, they are man made and they should leave it to the farmers to look after the Dales as they have done for 300 years, they've done a grand job

It's the farmers' land, so if they want to allow trials on their land, they should be allowed to

Trouble is grants, subsidies, set aside etc will come with conditions !!

Back to the point of the original thread. I'm NOT commenting about the Midland Centre as I don't ride there but more of a comment based on feedback I have had from riders in my own centre. You would think with the depression sorry double dip recession we are living through that people who are strapped for cash but still want to ride would ride more of their local club events as they are cheaper with less travel costs etc ? However as with a lot of things when things get tight but you are still determined to partake you go for quality against quantity and quite a few of our local riders are now choosing to spend a lot more to ride farther afield doing the National series like Sammy Miller, NBBR etc as they perceive them to be better quality events and to be honest how can a multi lap club trial on a pocket hankerchief course compete with 30 mile lap in fabulous countryside with rocky stream beds and long hill climbs etc. So we are all finding a drop off in entries. Yes we lay out easier courses to attract new blood and folks who want an easy bimble around but this end of the market is perhaps not as commited to trialing every weekend and is far more likely to be persuaded to go shopping or ferry the kids to endless sports, decorate, see relatives, take she who should be gagged etc to the garden centre or factory outlet etc etc. I'm sure you get my drift.

I think it's just something you have to accept as part of modern "life". As others have said the days when the whole family packed into the van for a full and I mean 2 hours a lunch break then another 2 hours of hard trialing have gone. Most seem to want to get round as fast as possible and get off home in fear of getting nagged to death if they dare to overstay their allotted imposed time limit.

Enjoy your local Club trial while you can because there will soon come a point where the financial loss incurred by the club can no longer be sustained and it will fold due to lack of support. Perhaps then those that say there are too many events and too many clubs, of course their Club or it's events are never one of the ones there are too many of, will feel they have finally won. But have they because we will all suffer in the long run from lack of choice and inability to afford to travel long distances to the Clubs and events that are left.

I think it's just something you have to accept as part of modern "life". As others have said the days when the whole family packed into the van for a full and I mean 2 hours a lunch break then another 2 hours of hard trialing have gone. Most seem to want to get round as fast as possible and get off home in fear of getting nagged to death if they dare to overstay their allotted imposed time limit.

I remember those days, as a kid and agree nowadays people fly round at breakneck speed to get back home and people are loaded up and on their way out, when I've still got a half a lap of the last one, still to do

• Like 1