Ossa: Would You Do It Again?

luckaz

Ossa 2011 and trying this years ssdt on it. No mods at all except a low fuel light and I may change the tyres, oil and air filter. Runs even better after my dealer raised the idle but uses approx 30% more fuel with a new map. On the plus side it has even more torque and will go up anything.

• 1 month later...

My father and I had more trouble starting ours than probably anyone on here. Once we got the 12v battery packs hooked up we've been happy as larry.

Have ridden everything else on the market and the only other bike I really like is the Montesa. I'm sure I'd get used to any of the others but the Ossa just feel really nice to me soon as I jumped on it.

Piece os pi@@ to start.

Just picked a used example up.. Got it home, 2nd kick it started.. Don't know what all the fuss is about...

good for you mate you at the trial on sunday its at mickerdale

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

This thread makes interesting reading. I'm in the market for a new (or newer than what I have at the moment) bike and have been looking at the Ossa TR280i. At present I ride a Sherco and a guy in a club I ride for has a Ossa (2012 model I think) and a couple of weeks back I had a go on it, all I can say is wow! I've riden a few different bikes over the last month or so (2011 Beta, 2012 Factory Sherco, 2008 4RT and a few others) but to me the Ossa felt streets ahead so this made me investigate the bike further as I didn't really know too much about the bike other than it being an FI 2T.

So... after some more investigation it seems Ossa have really up'd the design & engineering behind a trials bike and kinda left a lot of the other manufactures bikes looking like dinosours. In my opinion there really has been some thought gone into the engine design. With traditional engine designs, changing crank bearings means the crank case has to be split exposing the gearbox and all the hassle of new crank case gasket, making sure its air tight etc and if you have a gearbox problem again the crank case has to be split removing the barrel, crank etc which means all new gaskets again.

With the Osaa it appears the gearbox comes out as a unit by removing the clutch cover, clutch and 5 bolts, take the front sprocket and gear lever off and the complete gear box assy taps out... fantastic, without even having to take the engine out of the frame. Same goes for the crank as the gearbox can be left alone and once the stator, barrel & piston is removed the crank can be extracted through the side of the engine case and there is a cutaway that the small end of the conrod slides through. Thats a really well thought out design.

Also the plastics seems really flexible so less chance of breaking mudguards when the envitable crash happens, fuel injection too, no more having carbs apart and fiddling around with jets and settings. 100+:1 fuel / oil mix! bit of a saving there. The bike I rode a couple of weeks back had a great feel to the suspension and the throttle / power was so smooth.

I know there have been a few issues with starting but this seems to have been sorted with the optional battery pack.

To be honest I'm not sure why they aren't more popular??? Answers on a postcard....

Cheers,

Gary.

Sorry steveo, I just saw your reply. I currently ride the junior line in Canada, although first time out I won my class for the first time and only dropped 3 marks for the whole event. Could have been luck, I like to think my confidence was up on the new bike, it ran perfectly and just felt right on the day, so much so that I will likely move up to intermediate level.

To sum up as follows:

Power - plenty of it, a little fierce at times, may benefit from a slow tube but will try it as-is at least one more time

Weight- bike felt nice and light and was easy to manouver

Starting- no issues, battery pack fitted so was easy on the legs all day

Overall fun factor- off the scale!

........and did I say it has a termignoni exhaust on it, apart from looking good it also sounds very nice!

I. Should start a "what did you do to your ossa today" thread, every day would start the same..."looked in awe at it before firing her up"

Hi,

This thread makes interesting reading. I'm in the market for a new (or newer than what I have at the moment) bike and have been looking at the Ossa TR280i. At present I ride a Sherco and a guy in a club I ride for has a Ossa (2012 model I think) and a couple of weeks back I had a go on it, all I can say is wow! I've riden a few different bikes over the last month or so (2011 Beta, 2012 Factory Sherco, 2008 4RT and a few others) but to me the Ossa felt streets ahead so this made me investigate the bike further as I didn't really know too much about the bike other than it being an FI 2T.

So... after some more investigation it seems Ossa have really up'd the design & engineering behind a trials bike and kinda left a lot of the other manufactures bikes looking like dinosours. In my opinion there really has been some thought gone into the engine design. With traditional engine designs, changing crank bearings means the crank case has to be split exposing the gearbox and all the hassle of new crank case gasket, making sure its air tight etc and if you have a gearbox problem again the crank case has to be split removing the barrel, crank etc which means all new gaskets again.

With the Osaa it appears the gearbox comes out as a unit by removing the clutch cover, clutch and 5 bolts, take the front sprocket and gear lever off and the complete gear box assy taps out... fantastic, without even having to take the engine out of the frame. Same goes for the crank as the gearbox can be left alone and once the stator, barrel & piston is removed the crank can be extracted through the side of the engine case and there is a cutaway that the small end of the conrod slides through. Thats a really well thought out design.

Also the plastics seems really flexible so less chance of breaking mudguards when the envitable crash happens, fuel injection too, no more having carbs apart and fiddling around with jets and settings. 100+:1 fuel / oil mix! bit of a saving there. The bike I rode a couple of weeks back had a great feel to the suspension and the throttle / power was so smooth.

I know there have been a few issues with starting but this seems to have been sorted with the optional battery pack.

To be honest I'm not sure why they aren't more popular??? Answers on a postcard....

Cheers,

Gary.

Tbh if you want one go for it. A 2012 in good condition sold for £2400 last week so don't pay over the odds.....

Sorry steveo, I just saw your reply. I currently ride the junior line in Canada, although first time out I won my class for the first time and only dropped 3 marks for the whole event. Could have been luck, I like to think my confidence was up on the new bike, it ran perfectly and just felt right on the day, so much so that I will likely move up to intermediate level.

To sum up as follows:

Power - plenty of it, a little fierce at times, may benefit from a slow tube but will try it as-is at least one more time

Weight- bike felt nice and light and was easy to manouver

Starting- no issues, battery pack fitted so was easy on the legs all day

Overall fun factor- off the scale!

........and did I say it has a termignoni exhaust on it, apart from looking good it also sounds very nice!

I. Should start a "what did you do to your ossa today" thread, every day would start the same..."looked in awe at it before firing her up"

So no one is in any Doubt 280i is the importer of these bikes into Canada, I believe, so his views are not completely un biased.