Fantic A Good First Trials Bike?

actwin

There is a Fantic for sale near me (Ohio,USA)the owner is not sure of the year but around 1986 , a 300 Trials Pro twin shocker. He has had it for 6 years the last 3 it being stored. Problems are front brake lever needs replaced(drum both ends) and it is slow to respond to throttle inputs,have not seen the bike yet,asking $650. I'm an Italian bike lover having had Ducs,Guzzi's,Nelli's and this bike has me thinkig of a possible purchase but don't want to get in over my head with money or headaches. I'm just planning on riding it on my own 3 acres so I just want something that will start when I want it to. Thanks,Scott

If you buy it you must attend Trials Inc. events,There is no better way to learn to be a better overall motorcycle rider than competing in Trials.There are 6 different lines through each section and I'd say the bottom two,novice and Intermediate you would have to really try to hurt yourself on purpose.

I would already have that 300 in my garage but I haven't had a weekend to go get it available since he put it up for sale.(Move quickly,I may just get free soon...)

Fantics are really good bikes,I believe they might be the most reliable Italian motorcycle...If you can deal with the mainstream from Italy you can surely get on with a Fantic. Tryals Shop in NY plus the usual British suppliers and there you go. Easier than the older Beta that's for sure.

Snatch it up ... you will love the build quality of the old girls , It's pretty basic , with decent compression , a clean exhaust and some TLC , you'll love it ...

Make sure the kickstart shaft splines are in good shape , Clean the carb good and put in some fresh fuel and oil , then go from there . At that price you can't lose on the bike if it will move under it's own power . I just got another fantic for my stash , or I'd be making a road trip ...It will most likely need some consumables , but they all can be had . They are their own reward !

Glenn , Welcome to the fold ...

And to answer your ??? YES :) And make sure you keep Domino levers on it , or you will be disappointed with the action .

Edited by axulsuv

IMO they are not a good bike for a beginner, they take a lot of looking after and spare parts are hard to find. The 240 is a much better bike as the 300 motor is quite a handful. At 650 its not dear and if its in reasonable cond you could probably double your money, one thing definately to check is the back of the engine behind the drive sprocket where it clamps around the swingarm spindle, they are nearly always broken or cracked and its a big job to have them repaired.

IMO they are not a good bike for a beginner, they take a lot of looking after and spare parts are hard to find. The 240 is a much better bike as the 300 motor is quite a handful. At 650 its not dear and if its in reasonable cond you could probably double your money, one thing definately to check is the back of the engine behind the drive sprocket where it clamps around the swingarm spindle, they are nearly always broken or cracked and its a big job to have them repaired.

300 's are smoother and torqier than 240' s and have better clutches ,Hence all the "340" modified bikes ... And unless it was owned by a butcher , the rear motor mount should be fine , but look at it anyways . They steer quite well and have everything you need if you have basic riding skills , You won't get bored with it in a few months ...

Glenn

Edited by axulsuv

300 's are smoother and torqier than 240' s and have better clutches ,Hence all the "340" modified bikes ... And unless it was owned by a butcher , the rear motor mount should be fine , but look at it anyways . They steer quite well and have everything you need if you have basic riding skills , You won't get bored with it in a few months ...

Glenn

Dont want to get into an argument but the guy did ask if the fantic 300 is a good first bike? NOT is the fantic 300 a good bike? I`ve a few fantics myself including a 340 so know how good they are but I did say imo they need a lot of looking after and spares are hard to find, try buying a genuine piston!. Surely you have to agree a good first bike would be something easy to ride like a lightweight 200 or even a modern mono. :D

I'm going to look at it tonight but you have convinced me I should get it while I can plus it's so close to home. One question, what does this thing weigh? Thanks ,Scott

Edited by actwin

What is the connection between SWM and Fantic? I have seen the two mentioned together elsewhere.

No connection other than of the same era, twin shock Fantic's are very good (was riding a 300 last sunday)

I personally prefer SWM's.