Rear Shocks, Which Ones?

imexian

You're going to get a mix of answers that will tell you nothing as everyone's opinion is subjective. Opinions will vary as some riders give their shocks a much harder workout in harder trials than others who ride easier trials. Consequently the behaviour of the same pair of shocks in those two extremes would differ.

I'd say Falcons every time. What matters is what you think. Ordinarily this question comes up when someone is thinking of buying a pair of shocks. You already have both sets in your possession, the only way you're going to know for sure is go out on the bike and try them both over a varied selection of sections.

• Like 4

Good answer, but as I'm new to twin shock stuff I'm starting more or less from scratch sussing out how I need the bike to ride. The falcons, I have wound down preload as topping out a lot, the rockshocks seem more trick?? I've rode modern bikes for all my life, but have got a little stale over the years and need a new lease of life on trialing!! I now realise I will not be able to get a 1985 fantic to become something it was never intended to be, but still require a bike that is the best I can make it.

Ian

You Can adjust and set up the rock shocks yourself ... The falcons are what they are except for the preload ...

Play with them both and see what works for you , And that may change as you get more comfortable on the bike !!

Glenn

Axul - you can change Falcons damping too, just a bit more fiddly and you need a mountain bike shock pump to pressurise them again. Generally though, you don't need to mess with the Falcon damping as it's usually fine.

Emexien....how lucky are you...As stated earlyer most of us are torn between which shocks to spend our hard earned on, you already got a joice for free. They both good quality, so just play to your hearts content, in the end there maybe not a lot to separate them and you'll just end up with a spare pair on the shelf....alternatively, you could find another twin shock in need of some TLC, and fix that up too :hyper: .....and that my friend is how we all end up with a shed full of bikes, isn't life sweet :icon_salut:

• Like 5

Emexien....how lucky are you...As stated earlyer most of us are torn between which shocks to spend our hard earned on, you already got a joice for free. They both good quality, so just play to your hearts content, in the end there maybe not a lot to separate them and you'll just end up with a spare pair on the shelf....alternatively, you could find another twin shock in need of some TLC, and fix that up too :hyper: .....and that my friend is how we all end up with a shed full of bikes, isn't life sweet :icon_salut:

Funny how it makes more sense to buy/build a bike to go with the shocks, instead of selling them !

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

What do you folks have to say about the new Betor Aluminum body shocks? I have steel body Falcons on my bike now, but am just curious about the Betors. Also, probably a stupid question, but what determines the weight of the springs that are offered, 40 or 50 pound springs, if my weight is around 150 pounds?

Any information is appreciated.

$T2eC16F,!)cE9s4PsOgeBRWK53qDBg~~60_3.JPG

They aren't aluminium bodied - only the end caps are aluminium, the body is steel.

Which is better, Falcon or Betor is subjective.

Personally I'd never by Betors in preference to Falcons and just my opinion, but you'd be fortunate if you bought a pair that worked as well as Falcons.

I have a pair of Betors on a 200 Fantic and they work fine, I weigh about

160lbs in US currency and the 40lb springs are plenty firm enough, but

I'm pretty certain they aren't rebuildable.

Have you thought about Rockshocks? I have a pair on a TY and personally

I think they work very well.

They are totally rebuildable and you can do it at home as they don't need to

be pressurised, you can also adjust the damping to suit your particular needs,

they are more expensive than the Betor shocks though!

"Ah the agony of choice" as Blackadder once said.

• Like 1

Emailed Rock Shocks last week with all information regarding the bike and myself, but never heard back from them.

Are they hard to get a hold of? Too busy? How's the service? Maybe they're on vacation?