Registering A Bike For The Road.. It All Changed On 15/04/13

i went to register a bike today all the correct documentation etc to hand having done it loads of times.. however..

you cant read about it anywhere on any websites or even on a poster but the process for registering a vehicle has changed significantly..

virtually all local dvla offices are closing in december and all applications will ahve to be done by mail.. in the meantime significant changes have alrady come into effect on 15/04/13.

you need to do this for all vehicles built in the uk or not.

you must have a dating certificate from the original manufacturer.. if not you must have a letter from the manufacturer stating that they do not have records or did not build that motorcycle/ vehicle ( e.g. triumph didnt build the triumphs that were built in the 60's ajs have no relation to the 50's ajs but you need written confirmation from them) a dating certificate from the club MUST be accompanied with such a letter.

you also need to contact HMRC NOVA and complete thier paperwork so that they can confirm to dvla that no outstanding import duties apply to the vehicle.

this applies even to british built vehicles that you have documentation to prove when and where it was mad and origianally sold and its original reg no.. without hmrc issuing a document stating no outstanding taxes apply your application will not be accepted.

even with all that dvla will no longer issue reg no.s on the day and are commited to viewing at the keepers address all pre 63 vehicles before issuing a v5.

i spent most of the morning dealing with dvla and hmrc i spoke to the top people at each office who tried thier damndest to resolve my issues..

frankly niether had a firm grasp of whys and where fores but the long story short is all the above now applies..

Edited by totalshell

Oh great. And I was just about to register another one of my bikes. When I did two last year it felt a bit like jumping through hoops but now it seems more like jumping from planet to planet.

What paperwork do you need from HRMC? Any idea of the form number?

you need to complete a nova1 from hmrc send it back to them they consider it and when it comes back you have to take thier reply to the dvla. they also said to include a brief history of the vehicle to explain how and why the bike came to you and why you have not registered it previously..

as an update as the process above was alien to everyone i spoke to (3 owners clubs and the fhvc) i ve spent this a.m. chasing confirmation / clarification and i ve just a a phone call from dvla swansea. they have confirmed that they can no longer issue V5/c to a vehicle without having written confirmation from HMRC that they have no interest in the vehicle.

hmrc require the completion of the paper form NOVA1 (Notice Of Vehicle Arrival) the purpose of which is to determine the amount of import taxes (duty VAT etc) payable on an imported vehicle even if the thing never left these shores in the first place!!!!

if you fill in the form and provide as much supporting evidence as possible that the vehicle was uk manufactured and sold then you should get confirmation from HMRC within 10 working days which you can then take to the dvla as part of your application..

no letter from hmrc no v5. :wall:

• 7 months later...