Beginner Techniques - Where To Start

Hi,

I've read a lot of posts here and elsewhere and watched a few videos, I'm now a bit confused as to what to practise first and looking for advice.

I've been riding bikes for around 22 years but I've only had 2 1/2 hours on a trial bike last night at Warden Law. It's clear that I need to pick up a few basic skills before I've got any hope of clearing any obsticles.

I spent a bit of time just getting used to being off road again and to the bike but I still find the power delivery, lack of bike between the knees, the feel of the clutch and the size and feel of the back brake all a bit odd.

I practised lifting the front wheel, 10 foot barely in control wheelies weren't much of a problem but they also aren't very useful and well timed short lifts are currently beyond me.

I made some progress on short steep hill climbs, but descents were badly controlled.

Also made some progress riding along planks at walking pace.

I ache all over the place today, particularly my hands where I have tendon and joint problems.

Any advice before my next practise?

Cheers

Allan

Isn't it awesome learning a new style, I love it (I'm only a couple years into trials)

To a certain extent you just need to spend some time getting used to how the bike feels and getting over the awkwardness

But practice leaning the bike into turns and keeping your body weight over the bike, low speed first gear figure 8s are something you have to do, put a few rocks down so you have turning points

Practice riding as straight as possible while maintaining your balance at all times, bad habits from other bikes will have you using the steering to maintain balance but you have to break that

Knees out, feet wide is important another bad habit to break of knee hugging the bike

It's the learning that really attracted me to trials.

Knees hugging the bike and steering to ballance are definitely habits I need to shake off, I caught myself kneeling on the tank at one point.

I'm struggling to cover the back brake when I think it might be needed, I think that in part was keeping my feet tight to the motor.

Thanks for the tips, I'll give them a try next week.

Cheers

gasgas 321 not the easiest of bikes to ride, better off on a 250, we had a 321 when they were new & hated it

Choice of bike really came down to price. My preference was a pre 65 or twinshock, I'd guess the 321 will at least be easier than them.

It's power delivery is a bit odd though. loads of just off tickover torque that doesn't build much as the revs rise followed by a narrow peaky power band.

Although I am comparing it to a CB550 inline 4 and a VFR750 V4.

Sounds like you are off to a pretty good start. Most people just want to go hit stuff rather than trying to build there control and precision. :icon_salut:

One simple technique to practice is full lock figure eights. Get some cones and make some boundaries for yourself and keep moving them in until you can go full lock to full lock and ride a repeatable and smooth path. There are many variations of this drill as well. I like to introduce a figure eight on a progressively steeper side hill as riders progress (A good warmup drill anyone in the novice ranks as well) Clutchless and one handed figure 8's can be interesting as well.

I highly recommend a slow turn throttle on the 328. I call them high resolution throttles as that what it really provides.

Good luck and keep it up. Peg time spent practicing precision and control will pay dividends in all trials sections.

• Like 1

Lock to lock should be a challenge with this much lock, I'll put some time into it and see how I get on.

Thinking about it more:

Lean the bike in with body vertical our bike out body in as you would at low speed on a road bike?

Kick a peg or sick a leg out to recover when over balanced?

What's considered a quick and slow throttle in trials circles? The current one I think is 1/4 turn but I'll check. The quick throttle on my mini moto is 1/8.

Yes - Full lock is only the goal. Start out where you are and improve it by moving in the boundaries over time. Keep at it and you'll get there.

Bike leans - rider stays centered while weighting outside peg. Get a Ryan Young video ASAP!

White throttle tube = fast turn

blk tube is "slow" or high resoluton.

• Like 1

It's the learning that really attracted me to trials.

Knees hugging the bike and steering to ballance are definitely habits I need to shake off, I caught myself kneeling on the tank at one point.

I'm struggling to cover the back brake when I think it might be needed, I think that in part was keeping my feet tight to the motor.

Cheers

Yup I'm right there with you, riding the rear brake is a street bike habit as it settles the bike down, I'm constantly working on getting away from the rear brake, my coach gives me a hard time all too often

A guy at a trial told me to say "ballerina ballerina ballerina" in a section to remind me to keep my feet and knees wide LOL

Learn to steer the bike with the pegs, let the bars follow naturally and make corrections, stay centered and no excess bar input unless needed. Let bike lean and move under you. You Must lean to turn, yet body centered and feet in control of balance and steering.

Poke the peg to make a move, the bike will respond and the steering will flow.

• Like 1

Keep the tendons and muscles soft by stretching. Bending fingers back gently and holding for 10 seconds helps a lot if you repeat several times before you ride and after.

Warm up knees, back and shoulders with gentle squats, side bends and forward roll downs etc. supple body will allow the bike and you to move much better and you'll be a lot less likely to get injured.

It's sounds like the tips so far will all help hugely and you are happy to go steady to learn. Trials is way different to any other bike sports and you need time to realise just how different the riding rules are. Once you crack those basic turns and slow speed control it'll all fit into place.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting re the comments on keeping off the rear brake - for steep descents (when i'm watching others !) the back wheel is often completely locked with control only through the clutch, so this must be full rear brake ??

For the full wheel lock turns ( and no I'm not able to do them but getting slightly better very gradually) particularly to the left I cant cover the brake and keep my balance, my legs just in the wrong place, it seems to work better if it all comes from throttle

Well the rear brake is still very important but in a section in second gear flat ground is what we refer to

Feather the front brake to control speed, get off the rear brake

If you use the rear brake then, it locks your leg in the wrong place, and moving your foot to and from the brake you affect the chassis by changing your weight bias from one peg to another