Beginner Techniques - Where To Start

• 3 weeks later...

I use the back brake going down steep hills to free up the steering and avoid the front wheel slipping sideways...it feels like a parachute slowing things down and gives me time to look at the options(or find a soft place to land) but I do ride a 88 mono with drum brakes so you need all the options available to mankind :irish:

• Like 2

One of the benefits of trials is you can practice in your driveway.

It's been suggested that you find some traffic cones. Don't bother. Use bricks or half bricks. Set two out spaced about 10' from each other and ride a figure of eight attempting to place the back wheel on the bricks.

If you can pick up a copy of Len Weeds and Lane Leavitts book. That book has lots of similar examples to practice. It might be over 30 years old but the basics were the same then as they are now.

The best advice is dont run before you can walk, speaking from personal experience. I was all too keen to learn the flashy wheelies endos flicking rear wheel 180 degrees bunny hops 180 bunny hops even rising the bike backwards sitting on the bars (blame Jason Finn for that 1) and when I started trialling years later I had to go back to scratch going in the garage for 15 mins a night just standing on the bike no engine balancing until I could stand up straight no hands for as long as I like, then back to basics on clutch and throttle control smoother the better those 3 things are the key to trials

• Like 2

I haven't had much practice since posting this topic, still under 4 hours on the bike. I'm currently waiting for a replacement fork spring which is hopefully the last problem for a while.

Clutch control is always going to be an issue for me due to the hand issues mentioned in my first post, I need all 4 fingers on the clutch and I'm in pain just typing this, but I'm happy to simply improve my riding.

I plan to enter a trial next month, I intended to this month but had a rear tyre problem two days before it.

Controlled/Tight turns appear to be the key to me (which I suppose combine the 3 items you list as key). I rode some practise sections and found that none of the obstacles were difficult with a straight run at them, but they all became difficult when offline due to messing up the turn leading onto them.

being a beginner myself I have been practising balancing on the spot and at first it seems impossible. however tonight after 20 seconds being my best 2 nights ago I managed 5 minutes. not sure if it was a fluke or I really have got it sussed?

I have been watching as many videos on youtube as possible but is there any really good learning videos for learning. trying to do a trial most weekends long as its not paraglidable though the more I do the trials the more I enjoy it. the alwinton trial was just amazing getting to drive around the fells and great to watch some of the top guys showing how much control you can have on your bike. mind with easy causes seeming very difficult it is great learning a new sport again.

• Like 1

I never really watched any videos on balancing only tips I could give is start with rear tyre really low almost flat get yourself familiar with the center of gravity and balance point, always with engine off focus on a spot on the floor 2 foot infront of the bike then when your set and comfy look up, envis

• Like 1

Sorry clicked post by accident, once your comfy envision a section infront of you look up over it pick a line. Once you've cracked it inflate rear tyre until your around 10psi then practice standing up no hands touch helmet shoulders knees toes and watch your riding improve when you drop the rear tyre back to 3.5psi for a trial you will feel like your riding with stabilisers on. Hope that makes sense and helps

• Like 2