Runaway Engine, How To Stop It

hoggyf

Had a lad fall off yesterday and tip his bike upside down and throttle jam open, now this has happened to me before and trying to switch it off frantically is terrifying, I stopped my bike and jumped down and, as I had read, jammed my gloved hand over the exhuaust and it does work and shut the bike down.

Well worth knowing, lad was very appreciative.

• Like 1

Yes the kill switch does nothing when its at full chat and is exactly what happened to me, pressing the kill switch and nothing happens, still sits revving its bits off.It was also exactly what the other lad was doing and frantically trying to stall it, he was very happy when I gloved the exhaust :rolleyes:

I was quite calm about it (un like when mine did it) and glad that I'd read about it on here.

I'm very wary of resurrecting an old thread after the last time I did so, in another part of the forum :hyper: ...but it's good to see that you've given some feedback to the poll we started about the subject. Experiencing, first time, the terror aspect of a WOT run-away is not nice...good work that man. :icon_salut:

There was something to be said for the old days of tapping the cylinder head and fitting a decompressor - instant, 100% reliable method of killing a revving engine and also useful for descending snotty bankings in full control, even if some thought it to be "cheating" when we really should be using the brakes with the required level of skill.

The kill switch, lanyard or conventional, will not work if the motor is running full belt. When this happens the fuel pre-ignites and the ignition system is redundant

Which is why in a large % of bail outs that the engine is cut before full chat?

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...