Newbie Wanting To Try Vintage Trials

ss426a

Those forks may be the ones with the very light springs that were meant to be used with a bit of air pressure (which was a short-lived fad in the late 1970s). One of my 348s came with those springs and caps. If yours are that type, the forks will work much better with normal weight springs (easily available) and no air pressure. If you want to give the air pressure a try, you will find they will only need a few psi to work as Montesa intended. I disagree with Chuck about the fork oil, suggesting you might try something heavier than 7wt fork oil, but fork action is a very personal thing and bear in mind that Chuck is a fair bit lighter than you. I'm 210 pounds and am currently using car engine oil (10W-50) and Bultaco Alpina fork springs in my 348 forks.

The 35mm Spanish trials bike Ceriani rip-off forks of that era (Bultaco Betor, OSSA Betor and Montesa Cota forks) all use springs of the same OD, but are of different lengths. I use spacers of about 65mm from memory with the Alpina springs in the 348 forks. If you buy springs made for the 348/349 you may not need spacers at all. In Motion Trials in the UK will have Cota fork springs, or you can get Bultaco springs from Hugh Weaver Bultaco (Craryville, NY State)

• Like 1

doubt youd notice that much differance in oil wt, until you start riding more advanced sections.

try Bel ray 7wt..you can always change it..

i ride a bit more aggressive, and like action from my forks..if needed i like to be able to hop the front a bit if im in a tight place.

i run 5wt on my TLR 250. and 7 wt on my KT 250. 5 wt in my modern bikes.

KTM Sr fork springs work very well as a replacement, and are easy to find, they really worked great in my 348, Progressive made some springs as well for vintage trials a few years ago, they were my sponser,

i had them do some springs for the KT250 that i used to have then..

im running KTM SR springs in the KT i have now..they work very well. with those spings and 5Wt oil, they work almost as well as the forks on my old Rev 3

yup,

i got mine in a close out sale table at the local parts shop..wasnt sure they would work at the time, so the 20.00 i paid was worth the chance...

they dropped right in, no mods. worked very nicely..they give the front end great action..not many twin shockers that you can hop the front end on...now i can kinda hop it...lol

• 2 months later...