Preventing Your Trials Bike Getting Stolen?

pancho247

9 hours ago, thats_a_five said:

Reportedly they will communicate using Bluetooth with any phones with the app loaded, and communicate their location to the owner of the device.  This information could then be communicated to police to help recover the bike. Has anyone tried such a device?

I must be misunderstanding you. You seem to be saying the thief has to have the app in his phone and be standing near the bike in order to transmit the tracking data. :huh:

From what I understand, the device will communicate with any mobile phone that has the related app installed and in range.  So, if the crook has the app, they could lead the police right to themselves.  Even if they don’t have the app, if they drive past others who do have the app, the crooks will leave a series of electronic ”breadcrumbs” as they travel.  Of course the usefulness of this is directly related to how many people have the app on their phones. 

On 27/01/2017 at 10:16 AM, chewy said:

Is it possible to collate what has been stolen and when and if when and where recovered just to see if there is a pattern. Here is not the place to discuss ways of trapping thieves but we surely all have an interest in this problem. It is important also to record your ownership and identify the goods ...Twice I have found my property only for our glorious police to give it back to the thief or his customer as my proof of ownership didn.t meet thier standards. I think it is only in the UK one can buy a new off road bike and not register it....one might save a few quid but is it worth it?.

You can register a bike in the UK for nothing (no £) so long as it is for off road use only.

Looking at autotrader, ebay and other vehicle advertising sites you can see that some vehicles have their number plates blurred or covered up. All advertising sites should be compelled to publish the VIn(s) and Reg (if registered). If seller wont't supply the information advertiser should be compelled to report this  to police.

19 hours ago, dadof2 said:

Looking at autotrader, ebay and other vehicle advertising sites you can see that some vehicles have their number plates blurred or covered up. All advertising sites should be compelled to publish the VIn(s) and Reg (if registered). If seller wont't supply the information advertiser should be compelled to report this  to police.

That would make cloning bikes so easy, theives everywhere would love it if that were done!

On 23/04/2017 at 5:59 PM, turbofurball said:

That would make cloning bikes so easy, theives everywhere would love it if that were done!

Its a case of the lesser of 2 evils. Thieves can easily clone vehicles already. All cars VINS and reg Nos are clearly visible as they are on most motorcycles. On balance having VINS and Reg Nos on adverts would deter more theft than it would cause.

A couple of years ago the police called a person I know (she had never advertised her car). Apparently about 45 miles away an identical car with same Reg and VIN was suspected of being involved in a number of crimes.

Incidentally don't trust (regard as always 100% accurate) these vehicle checks. They can show nothing recorded when there is plenty of adverse history.

Perhaps, but it's easier to find specific matching vehicles online - if you're cloning a silver Audi then why bother, but if you want to clone a rare bike in a rare colour it's going to be unusual to spot one on the steet.

Also, photographing vins in public might be seen as suspiscious, lol

• 9 months later...

Had my 2017 Scorpa factory 300 stolen last Thursday. Thief seen pushing it down road at 6.45am in the Heaton area of Bolton.

The bike was secured with a floor clamp and heavy duty bike chain and padlock through the rear brake disc both of which were cut through and locked garage broken into, Gutted as only bought the bike the week before which is typical. Also heard a number of Trials bikes have been stolen in the North West recently so everyone keep your eyes open, No idea why picture is upside down !!!! Scorpa Factory.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 15/05/2013 at 7:39 PM, anotherfive said:

On top of all the above there are a few things you can remove depending how your bike is positioned

1. gear lever off and bike in first gear

2.Handlebar mountings

3. Pull out front wheel spindle

4. remove clutch lever

Any of the above will make the scroats think or struggle especially number 2.

They may just think (doh!) wow spares????

• 2 months later...

I read so much on what a waste of time installing cctv is a waste of time, and hopefully i may be able to change peoples minds, before you ask I am in the security industry and am not trying to sell anything just sharing my knowledge.

Yes cheap cctv systems mounted near your gutter will never identify a thief nor will any cctv camera alone stop a theft.

But with abit of careful planning and a half decent system set up correctly will certainly alert you by email or text message that there is activity,

Cameras mounted low enough to pick out a face but high enough not to be tampered with could certainly make the difrence between never seeing your bike again and getting it back.

good night vision qualities will certainly help identify a theifs activity.

And are not alot more money than the £200-300 sets from your big name retailers.

Just abit of food for thought.

• 2 weeks later...

Being difficult to insure against theft, thinking a SPOT TRACE may be the go to help track my bike if it is stolen. Best thing is it sends a text or email message once movement is detected. Obviously can be moved from vehicle to vehicle as required.

https://www.findmespot.com/en/index.php?cid=128

Yearly subscription but could be the ideal unit as previous posts mention their bikes were chained and bolted down.

• 1 year later...

I always lock my bike to the trailer and have a bolt through the hole in the towing arm so you can't get the trailer off the car. A friend years ago didn't and while he went in to his house to open the gates his bike was nicked off the trailer. He was gone about 30s and someone had it. 

• 1 year later...