Which Gearbox Oil?

danyorks

I have a 2004 rev 3 250. I am having a few problems with the clutch when the bike is cold. I have only just got the bike so I don't know when the oil was last changed. I am also thinking about doing the clutch mod.

What is the best recommended oil?

Thanks,

Dan.

Well the first thing is to change the oil,I use ATF 550cc and have no problem with clutch drag from cold. Recommended is BARDAHL gearbox 20/40 Also i change mine quite regular,as ATF is cheap enough,to do this.But as posted above sometimes the clutch can bit a bit sharp,with ATF a lot thinner and releases quicker.

Edited by bilks

Hello Danyorks . Have had problems myself on my Fantic and gasgas . The latter recently . Have done the clutch plate mod stated in Dan Williams post and now run Millers 5w30 semi synthetic engine oil at £7.00 per liter from the car accessory shop . The only reason i chose miller is because it was the only semi synthetic available and finding semi in 5w30 is unusual as most manufacturers are fully synthetic .

Ted

I use expensive but brilliant oil that saves you doing the "clutch mod". It's Putoline Nano Trans. I use 500ml per change so 2 per bottle.

It improves over time as it works it's magic but my Beta is super slick now where before on ATF it was rough. It lasts loads longer between changes as well. You'll know when to change as the slickness goes and it changes colour in the window from pale brown to merky brown (this is about 5 trials and 5 other riding weekends though). A quick change and away you go with the second 500ml.

My advice is keep ATF in auto boxes and steering pumps and use gearbox oil in a gearbox.

I use expensive but brilliant oil that saves you doing the "clutch mod". It's Putoline Nano Trans. I use 500ml per change so 2 per bottle.

It improves over time as it works it's magic but my Beta is super slick now where before on ATF it was rough. It lasts loads longer between changes as well. You'll know when to change as the slickness goes and it changes colour in the window from pale brown to merky brown (this is about 5 trials and 5 other riding weekends though). A quick change and away you go with the second 500ml.

My advice is keep ATF in auto boxes and steering pumps and use gearbox oil in a gearbox.

Yes couldn't agree more about the ATF .! Edited by shyted

stop using ATF on the beta clutch..the original was GM Auto trac used in the GM light duty Transfer cases., some how someone got standard ATF confused with it.

once i drained flushed the ATF out of my Rev 3, and started using Motul 75wt gear oil, all my clutch issues went away.

i use Motul in all my 2T trials bikes, from my TR34 to my KT250.. im hard on the cutches, and they work very well.

notice non of your Beta owners or shop manuals recomend using ATF.. for the record, i have never had to do any special Beta clutch mods that are listed on this web sight.. and since i stopped using ATF, have yet to have to repair or replace a clutch.

Edited by chuckindenver

Hello pindie , been looking at different oil and trying it as well . Read the tech spec from Putoline and if it's to believed , it's a bike preferential oil with competition in mind . Judging by the response from various people (road racing and MX) and from here i'm giving it a shot when i get back from this trip . All the other 75w oils ive tried have been unsuitable in one way or another but reckon this stuff may do the job . Good find and glad to see some people will take quallity over cheapness to spend on their bikes . Good on ya mate !

Danyorks think you may have your answer here check out the spec on Putolines web site . Myself ,i'd still do the mod as well but thats just me .

Best regards Shy T

Edited by shyted

• 11 months later...

Reading through the site with no definitive answer. I have gone with putoline light gear. Same 75w.

I won't have any reference as I've not ridden the bike before.

It came in a litre, but I drained the bike cold so it will be given 500ml, I'll run it 3 times then change it again from warm as I will have a Carb and some fuel in then.