Kicking Back When Starting

clarky

Hi there,

Help please why my 2012 300cc 2stroke Factory Beta would be kicking back when I am trying to start it???

I give it a good hard kick and it has been kicking my kick start back up and wont start, it don't do it every time but maybe one of every 3/4 kicks it seems to be doing it.

it has not done it from new and only in the last 6 months it has started to do it,

Fly wheel key is ok and not bent.

Can CDI play up after a while??

Thanks for any help.

Do not know this as unusual, per se. I have heard many over the years sound off like a gun as they kick back.

One trick is to reduce the mag timing a bit, of course a heavier boot may help as well?

Advice on this ! Whatever you try ,just try starting with boot's on . Thirty stitches and a damaged calf muscle was the injury i received from not wearing boots when my bike decided to " fire back " and my mate had adjusted the timing a little bit .

Ted .

• Like 1

Advice on this ! Whatever you try ,just try starting with boot's on . Thirty stitches and a damaged calf muscle was the injury i received from not wearing boots when my bike decided to " fire back " and my mate had adjusted the timing a little bit .

Ted .

My Bro did the same thing on his Montesa, Och

Retard the ignition timing a little 1-2mm at the plate clamp. What is the spark plug like?

Ive been told you cant adjust plate clamp?? Plug is New

Edited by clarky

Do not know this as unusual, per se. I have heard many over the years sound off like a gun as they kick back.

One trick is to reduce the mag timing a bit, of course a heavier boot may help as well?

Yes it do sound like a gun going off, :) also been told I cant adjust timing, I am going to try a new CDI, or is this a waist of time??

Ive been told you cant adjust plate clamp??

Thats news to me. Remove the flywheel. The ignition pickup is mounted with 3 screws and - normally - the plate has slotted holes. Rotate the plate clockwise to retard the ignition. I think.

• Like 1

I'm not so sure I would leap right to adjusting the ignition timing, perhaps it should be checked to see if the timing is incorrect first?, it's like asking about a drive train noise on the net and adjusting your chain without looking to see if its loose or not

Not saying the fix is wrong way to go but in my world the problem needs to duplicated and the symptom needs to be verified by a mechanical means

Then the fix is applied

Diagnosis via Internet and fix applied = something I see at least twice a week at the shop I work at

It's worse than starting from scratch

It's not your CDI, don't waste your money, it's an act of desperation with no diagnosis

A CDI is probably worth at least 3 hours of labor at a dealership that knows how to diagnose this stuff

• Like 2

Clipboard01

Found this photo and it shows that it can be adjusted is that right????
is this what you mean nzralphy & charlie chitlins

I'm no mechanic but took to a good mechanic the other day and after looking he said he would have to drill out the holes to adjust the timing????

He seems to think it is the CDI that is to fault.

I don't know what to think now??? lol Edited by clarky

Hi are you sure its not your kick method that is at fault. I don't know much about Betas but I ride a JT350 and you never want to give this a lazy kick or a prod because it will kick back like a mule. I always give it a good long kick using my body weight and it will start first time nearly all the time.

Gently find compression first then let kicker back to top then start.

Find someone else with a 300 and compare.

TLTEL

Yes good advice kick through it. only ever had one kick back and I had shoes on so think your momentum has to be equal or better then the bikes.Rock it backwards in gear to get to just after tdc then go from there. Failing that bring it to Yorkshire and we'll knack it for you!!!!!

• Like 1