Ideas For Back Of Van?

sando994

Just got myself a vivaro and intend on stripping out the back and starting from scratch. Has anyone got any pics or ideas for a good layout? Ie. good places to build hidden storage for oils and lubes and riding kit etc. has anyone ever raised the ply off the floor and built a draw underneath?? Any ideas or previous experience would be greatly appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

• 2 months later...

checker plate would be nice

'Till you have to kneel on it :(

Ply up the sides, rubber matting on the floor, bike doesn't move around on it. Look for Horse Stable matting, seems to be the best value.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

I have recently fitted rubber "checker plate" mat (from a popular auction site) to my van. Here are some tips, learnt the hard way:

• order enough length to be able to have a flap to roll out over the back bumper i.e. keep it long and just roll out the excess when you are loading/unloading.
  • don't trim it to the width of the van; leave the/some excess running up the sides of the van to contain any liquid spills, mud...
  • remove any screwed fittings to the floor and then re-fix them on top of the mat to secure it. To make the hole in the mat (if it is thin enough) work the bolts/fixings through the mat over the hole; it will make a clean hole.
  • If there are already tie down points on the floor of the van it might be best to cut access holes rather than remove them and re fit them over the mat as you may not be able to tighten the fixings securely against the rubber. Radius any holes to avoid tearing; if you have any gasket cutters these are ideal, or taper/sharpen the end of a length of pipe.
  • if there are any seatbelt mounts in the right place for fixing tie downs get some seat belt eyebolts with a large washer/backing plate to attach the tiedowns to; some loctite on the threads will keep them in place (and the tie down itself will hinder rotation).
  • before fitting the mat give it a thorough wash with detergent to get rid of the plasticiser/release agent or you will have to live with an overpowering smell of rubber for a few weeks; probably not good for you either. The next time I do this I will probably stick it in a clean "wheely bin" and fill it with water/detergent for a good soak.
Edited by esteve
  • Like 2

Just got myself a vivaro and intend on stripping out the back and starting from scratch. Has anyone got any pics or ideas for a good layout? Ie. good places to build hidden storage for oils and lubes and riding kit etc. has anyone ever raised the ply off the floor and built a draw underneath?? Any ideas or previous experience would be greatly appreciated.

go onto e bay,type in van storage,loads of stuff...i got a good wood storage rack for my transit connect..really good quality at £40.00

i have put kitchen lino on top of plywood,easy to clean...looks better than the floor indoors!....my 4RT goes in nice and snug...