Bigger Logs/drums - How?

Thank guys. I tried my a*** of today to try hop the rear wheel and it just didnt happen. What I am ding is, lift front and put it about a third of the way down from the top. Then I load the suspension and jump up while giving a blip. What seems to happen is that the front doesnt lift after the jump and the bash plate slams into the drum.

Could it be that the angle f the top third of the drum is not compressing the front forks enough to cause the front to hop up? Would it be easier on a vertical obstacle compared to a round obstacle?

Thank guys. I tried my a*** of today to try hop the rear wheel and it just didnt happen. What I am ding is, lift front and put it about a third of the way down from the top. Then I load the suspension and jump up while giving a blip. What seems to happen is that the front doesnt lift after the jump and the bash plate slams into the drum.

Could it be that the angle f the top third of the drum is not compressing the front forks enough to cause the front to hop up? Would it be easier on a vertical obstacle compared to a round obstacle?

Maybe you're just a little bit to late with the second blip of the throttle. As said before here, it's a matter of timing, and practice of course, lots of practice...

• Like 1

I think I figured out what im doing wrong. Think I was lifting the front too late and it was still on its upward path when it touched down on the barrel, not allowing the forks to compress and pop the front up.

What I tried today was lift the front wheel sooner and put it "down" on the leading edge and then did my blip and bounce. Well in not sure if the back was hopping up but it was a llot smoother and most of the time the belly was not hitting the drum. Progress.....I think??

• Like 1

You may be doing that, have someone watch you or better yet video you so you can watch yourself

My riding buddy did that last fall and it really helps to see yourself and the movements you make

I practice wheelies into, over and onto everything I can

Small logs and rocks are great practice just to help with timing, when you get to bigger ones its one less thing to concentrate on

I think I figured out what im doing wrong. Think I was lifting the front too late and it was still on its upward path when it touched down on the barrel, not allowing the forks to compress and pop the front up.

What I tried today was lift the front wheel sooner and put it "down" on the leading edge and then did my blip and bounce. Well in not sure if the back was hopping up but it was a llot smoother and most of the time the belly was not hitting the drum. Progress.....I think??

I do believe you're on your way to getting this down, Mokwepa!!! Good Job!

Yeah, if the front wheel is placed correctly, in conjunction with all the other "factors" involved, you will compress both the forks & the rear shock when you bring the front wheel into the obstacle. And from what I can see, it really doesn't hurt if you drop the front wheel down onto the obstacle a bit as you roll forward; just so you get that compression that you need for this technique. At most trial events, you have a very limited amount of room to work in, and I guess the majority of the time you'll have to bring the front wheel up & into the obstacle as you're rolling forward.. Whatever. You need that loading of the fork & shock to help bring the front end up to: 1) allow the skid plate to clear, and 2) to help "spring" (along with your legs here....) the rear wheel up & onto the obstacle.

There are some really good videos from a log crossing thread at Thumpertalk, in the Observed Trials forum. And there are some really good videos a vimeo.com from a member named "2PLY" about this subject. One of them has some really good slow motion & explanations of getting over a decent sized log. I'll try to link you to them later, after I'm home & at my home computer (at work now....)

Jimmie

Edited by mr neutron
  • Like 1

On Break at the time of writing this of course! ;)

Of course!!! (wink wink, hee hee....) ;)

Here's a video of mine I made when I was learning to do this. I want to stress that it is NOT "textbook technique", but it got the job done back then. I could only do this about once in about every 14 attempts in the beginning. I'm not sure that I've gotten much better since.....

Again, I'll try to post the "Good How-To Vid" later...... Wink Wink again.... ;)

Jimmie

Added in EDIT: If you look quickly, you can see the forks & shock compress at the same time. Probably not as much as they should, & I don't seem to ever put enough knee/leg into it as I should. But the basic gist of it is "sorta" there..... In an ideal world, I guess the rear wheel would've hopped up higher onto the log.......

Edited by mr neutron

Thanks nuetron. Im not quite that smooth yet but im getting better I think. Im practicing this zap thing and a bit ofbalancing every day for about 30 to 45 min. I guess ill get it eventually. I do get whoever I can to film me with my cell so I can see what im doing. I also watch lots on you tube and compare the right way and my way to see where my issues are. One kind gentleman that belongs to the club I joined has given me 3 of ryan youngs training dvds. I will collect them at my first event and hoefully learn a few more tricks. Thanks again for taking the time to post the vid.

• Like 1

Here's a link to that other video I mentioned. A guy who posts mostly on www.thumpertalk.com with the username of "2PLY" made this video. It helped me a lot, and I kinda like his choice of music in the thing.... If you go to the hosting site ( www.vimeo.com ) & type in "double blip", a search will bring this video up, and more trials "How-To" vids he has done. Just about all of his vids have been really helpful to me.

The Ryan Youg vids will help you out too, mokwepa!

Hope this helps!

Jimmie

Edited by mr neutron
  • Like 1

Looks like you're starting to get it.

As silly as it sounds and as silly as you will feel doing it, try this.

Over exaggerate your motions. When you bend at the knees bend a little farther, when you "spring" back up really bring your knees up. Sometimes we don't give enough motion because it feels "wierd" to do so.

and maybe a hair bit more throttle on the second blip to go with it.

Keep your finger covering the clutch. Clutch is fastest way to keep the motor from powering the rear wheel. So if you happen to give it just a bit too much throttle and the bike goes a bit more than you want you can instantly pull in the clutch and forward motion stops.

Don't worry about crashing.......................if you're not crashing then you're not learning. :chairfall:

• Like 1

As for the crashing, I worked it out. I got my bike on the 4th of may and in the last month and 4 days, ive sprained my wrist and torn ligaments in my ankle, so I must be learning something.......cause im a crashing :).

Im gonna try give more gas and and jump like a masai tomorrow. Will keep you posted to results or injuries. I know what needs doing, just need to do it and get the timing sorted.