Beta Rev 4T 250Cc As A First Bike?

bongo177

I've been offered a 2008 Rev 4T off a good friend. It's extremely well maintained and very rarely used, and a price of £1650 with a few bits and bobs too. The previous owner was one of his friends and it's had a particularly easy life, so the bike itself is of no concern as i know it's tip top.

Would this model be a decent first bike for me? I am not new to trials, but new to trials with an engine, coming from superbike racing and pushbike trials/bmx/mtb (all of which i still do besides pushbike trials). The only bike i've ridden was a day on my friends Beta Rev something or other, a 300cc. The 250 will obviously be flat compared to this or the 2 strokes, so all advice welcome whether i should go for it based on price, condition, and whether it'll be good for me to progress and play.

Thanks in advance, the more help the better! I have read they're good bikes from a thread on here, but i'm more after whether it's a good bike with me being brand new also. I am looking at youtube video's, reviews etc as well, it'd be nice to hear from owners and people with experience on here.

bongo

Edited by bongo177

How bad could it be?

The old chassis is not a easy to ride as an Evo is so its not a current model and wont feel like it

But if its clean and well taken care of and the price is right then get it, if it turns out to not suit your riding style then punt it and find what works better for you

It may be your first trials bike but like all of us, it won't be your last

Thanks lads. I hear what you're saying. 0007 i get what you mean, i just don't want a bike that 6 months or a year down the line when i'm getting the hang of things and starting to do some half decent riding, i'll start to wish i had something with a bit of a sharper ride and not quite so soft power, as has been suggested could be the case.

Does the bike have a tendancy to be too soft for a decent rider, or is it great through the riding levels from beginner to pretty damn good?

I don't really know, never ridden the 4 stroke, I had a rev 3 2t and liked it

Quantity of power is just not a big factor, quality is more important, you do most things with weight

big power isn't really that important

These bikes are a beauty to ride, I don't think you'd have any issues with it. You won't have any power issues with a 250 unless you are maybe trying to tackle the pro line and even then if your that good you could probably ride anything lol. These bikes are super smooth and make power in spots that 2T's struggle, I've spent a good long while on one of these and I loved every minute of it. I think as a first bike it would treat you well.

Edited by jtrials31

Hi Bongo - I can only echo what's been said as I ride a 250 Rev 4T. Brilliant bike to get to grips with the sport (I'm returning after a 25 year break!!!). Plenty of power and, being 4 stroke, more accessible compared to a 2 stroke where you end to need to keep it on the boil.

In short - an ideal intro bike that will serve you well as you progress in ability

Great bike. You'll not get anywhere near the bikes ability for years. Great bike.

Couple of points... You have an early example of the bike. Some had to have a kick starter kit fitted. Some needed a hot start mod done. Some including mine get a rattle valve system and I question the quality of valve guides.

The bike is easy to start. Kick.....it........sloooooooowly!

Get a jitsie fuel mixture screw fitted - take care of the micro size oring within the hole! 2.5-3 turns out.

Raise the needle all the way to the top - bottom clip groove. It makes the lean midrange go away and puts a goodly bit back into the midrange power.

Check how many miles the bike has done and get the rear shock rebuilt (even just fresh oil) and new fork oil.....if it has had regular use.

Set the front and rear to 1/3 sag when you are stood on the bike for the best bike ride.

Ralphy

Thanks mate, i'll look into all that. I already know the kickstart mod and hotstart mods have been done, and as for the suspension, it's tip top. I've bought it off a good mate who is a suspension technicianfor me in road racing and for BSB teams, so it's all good!

Can't wait to get it, shame i'm away until Sunday now and then in work until next Thursday!!