Honda Tlr200 Restoration.

joelewis

Just to keep this going!

Tank unit / shelter should be here next week / levers are all here so back end of next week she should (touch wood) be finished. Other things always seem to take priority over the TLR but she's about there.

The RTL has been getting constant use throughout winter and will be doing her annual 3 day trial in April. Recently bought some spare rims for her. She runs like a sewing machine and hasn't missed a beat. The grip that you can get on her is fantastic, first gear is fine for most sections. I do need a new set of tyres for her though. Its the original tyre on the front I think and the rears a IRC which I would prefer Michelins all round. This bike will never be sold, on the look out for a 1989 model though.

Few pictures from the Thirsk trial today with a mates 4rt.

thirsk%20trial_zps4g8nshti.jpg

Showing the clay like mud after the first lap!

thirsk%20trial%201_zpsohz3hi2n.jpg

Will hopefully have a bigger update next week!

• Like 1

Just to keep this going!

This bike will never be sold, on the look out for a 1989 model though.

Brilliant scoot. I agree, don't ever sell it!

If you do ever desire a caretaker for it across the pond however, it will have a warm place in my Scuderia here in the Wild, Wild West. B)

• 4 weeks later...

Nice! I've seen your lad on the 50 at a trial before.

Do you do Ouseburn 3 day trial this month? 17th / 18 / 19 this month I think it is.

Hi there - thanks for the note, a lot of people recognise Chris these days !

Not sure - who runs it ? (Is it over a bank holiday ?)

Cheers

John

Hi there - thanks for the note, a lot of people recognise Chris these days !

Not sure - who runs it ? (Is it over a bank holiday ?)

Cheers

John

Evening John, Billy Kendra organises it.

Its not no, The trial is officially a two day trial - 18th / 19th, I go on the 16th and help set up the courses then on the 17th we normally have a small trial on the evening as people start arriving at Friday lunch time with caravans etc.

Brilliant trial, big rides in between the sections. Good variety of sections to, hills / stream sections / rocks.

Joe

Edited by joelewis

Thanks joe !

We were planning on doing a vmcc trial on the pre 65s on the sunday, but may have a rethink !

might come down for at least the friday night easy trial - presume that would be ok?

cheers

John

Edited by john b

That would be fine John - starts at 6pm. Postcode is YO26 9TT. All information is here: http://www.eboracummotorcycleclub.co.uk/entries.html

Get down on the 18 / 19! really is a cracking trial.

The weather is supposed to be fantastic so there should be a good turn out. The sections are really far apart aswell so very little waiting to get on a section.

Regards, Joe

• 2 years later...
On 7/20/2013 at 11:21 AM, bashplate said:

Hi, I removed the steering lockstop plate at the bottom of the steering head as it was all bent up allowing the forks to hit the tank. I then cut right through the top tube about an inch back from the steering head and then warmed the tube that runs down to the front of the motor. This let me move the front wheel back untill it 'looked right', and it had opened up the cut in the top tube to about 6mm.Welded some steel into the gap, refitted a strengthened lock stop plate and job done.Recon it steepened things up by about 2 degrees,steers great around the garden....will be trials riding tommorow.

Resurrecting an old post.

I'm now the owner of a TLR200 and am looking to modify the steering head angle, Have you still got the photos of the modifications you made?

would you mind sharing them again?

• 4 weeks later...

• 2 years later...
On 6/15/2013 at 8:56 AM, joelewis said:

I paid £80 for used GasGas rims, my original rear one was knackered plus I wanted to run tubeless anyway. Managed to get a brand new, never used original rear DID rim, so got the original front and the new rear polished and anodised gold as a spare (as I know how hard they are to find second hand)

Total cost was £420 not inc the price of the GasGas rims. It was on the xpensive side I thought but the finish is exceptional. Hubs are standard TLR200 hubs powdercoated satin black, stainless steel spokes with the rims anodised Gold with a polished lip. So that hopefully it won't show up quite as much when I mark the edge of the rims.

Alright Joe,

Where abouts did you get the rims done if you don’t mind me asking? Mine are original Honda TLR’s in gold, was really keen at doing the same as you and putting a polished edge on the outside! I take it that was done when you sent them away too?

Cheers,

Dan