Silencer Qs

kingy409

Hi everybody, Ive just bought a 2001 321 txt and need to ask you guys for some info. Does the silencer connect to the mid box with a seperate connector/sleeve? mine has a connector that fits inside the silencer but it is very sloppy and leaks badly. I would have thought that this should be one piece but i cannot see that it was ever welded to the silencer. could anyone shed some light as to how this goes together please. Thanks in advance

thanks guys, i suppose if i bolt it in place and the go round with sort of sealant it will sort it out. i just wondered if this was how they all are or wether i was lucky and had just got a "special edition" ! heres the pics anyways.

post-18567-0-81075000-1371574027_thumb.jpg

post-18567-0-55217200-1371574100_thumb.jpg

post-18567-0-79381700-1371574169_thumb.jpg

post-18567-0-27695200-1371574262_thumb.jpg

post-18567-0-12241000-1371574334_thumb.jpg

post-18567-0-55536500-1371574378_thumb.jpg

looks to me as though it should have been welded in place. the hole it sits in looks like it has a ridge of weld there.

Maybe figure out how far it needs to stick out of the silencer and get it welded up. A decent Ally welder should be able to do it pretty quick and easy. Would help the welder out a bunch if you cleaned up as much oil, grease, etc.. off the surfaces as you can.

Just a thought.

That seems a cheezy cold weld that has separated! For proper fitment, unless you can match up the old weld perfectly, you fill need to take the whole bike to the welding shop for a tack-up and proper positioning.

All that must be clean prior, real clean@!

Edited by copemech

The middle section and the silencer section are assembled to each other in a slip fit. If you look inside the tube, you can see 2 grooves for O-rings. There should be red O-rings (usually high temperature compound, not cheap black O-rings) in each of those grooves. You can also seal the joint with some high temp silicone seal.

Looking at the pics, I see 2 problems. 1) the tube needs to be welded to the housing. 2) the mounting tab has a crack that also needs to be welded. Find a good welder, take the bike there so the parts can be aligned correctly for welding.