Riding Too Many Trials?

As title says can you ride too many trials and have not enough practice rides! I feel that just recently my results have not been good and i have seemed to be dropping down the results! Cant seem to put my finger on where im going wrong just losing silly marks for slack dabs! I have tryed taking my time at sections having a good walk through picking my line watching other riders! stopped the beer the night before trial even got out on mountain bike and got my self in better shape! Is it im riding trials every weekend and not getting out and practising? Any ideas folks.

When I was younger during the summer I would sometimes ride 4 trials in a week, weds nite, thurs nite, sat & then sunday. I found the same problem, slackus dabbus. Its a concentration thing.

My remedy was to compete a little less and practice concentration.

Sammy Miller (my hero) in one of his books suggests that you haven't conquered a section until you've cleaned it 3 times in succession. So I would create a tricky section and ride it until I could do just that. Its amazing how many times the self inflicted pressure will get to you when going for that third in a row clean.

Pro-Golfers use the 100 puts holed in a row routine (miss one and you're back at no.1) to practice the same discipline.

Also are you dehydrating too much during a trial? This can affect concentration without realising it.

Why don't you just try relaxing.I Realize you want to do better . Stop ,take a moment and chat with someone . why give yourself stress with something your supposed to enjoy ?

That's not a criticism , just know when i try to hard i make more mistakes .

When i think fook it and just have a do , i actually do better .

Good luck pal

Ted

Maybe you have just gone "stale". Put your bike away for a few weeks, maybe 3 months and try something different but still needs coordination. Maybe a bit of karting, clay pigeon shooting, jet skiing or motocross. Not talking about anything serious just things where you can hire the equipment or buy a cheap old crosser for practice track use.

Its the mark of multi champions like Lambkin and Schumaker who can keep up concentration and motivation year after year, several could beat them now and then but could not keep it up longer term.

I can't believe no one else put their finger on what is clearly the issue

Personally I have an incredible knack for the obvious

It's the Beer dude.......it's the Beer...

It's the Beer .................... as in not enough!!! Drink more :beer: and get really relaxed!!

Saw a ridder doing this once and it made alot of sense. At an event, try practicing around the section, not in it, but around the section, out of the way of other riders before you ride it. It will get you use to the terrain, and help you loose a bit of those pre jitters.

More peg time with just the basics does wonders as well.

• Like 1