Clutch Drag

erixon

My clutch is dragging a bit so I am going to strip it down and check the thickness of the plates. Is it anyone here that can explain how you strip it down....is it hard ?

Edited by erixon

What bike/year is it?

Gas gas's do tend to have a bit of clutch drag anyway and maybe you should try using a different oil before you take it to pieces? A few people use ATF in the gearbox and I use Putoline GP10 in mine!

As I say they seem to have a bit of drag and this is fairly normal! All of mine have!

I also have a Pro and before that I had the TXT model and they both dragged a bit! Unless its really bad I dont know if there is much you can do about it? I would'nt strip it down unless you really need to!

Might be worth e-mailing Factory Kev on the Gas Gas UK website in the technical bit. He will help you out!

Dragging can occure as the plates swell. However i don't know if nowaday plates swell like they used to in 2002. That is why they suggested atf dexron III in the first place. When swelling is the problem a thinner metal plate can cure the problem right away. They are cheap and in different thicknesses.

But first try to renew the oil. Old oil can produce drag.

Bleed the system. And make sure the mastercilinder is properly set.

Opening the clutch cover is no hassle. You won't have to drain the water.

Just remove the frontpipe and the kickstart, put the machine down on one side(otherwise you will loose oil),loosen all the bolts and off it goes.

ps:look at my avatar :P that is your clutch also

Edited by gasgas

Dragging can occure as the plates swell. However i don't know if nowaday plates swell like they used to in 2002. That is why they suggested atf dexron III in the first place. When swelling is the problem a thinner metal plate can cure the problem right away. They are cheap and in different thicknesses.

But first try to renew the oil. Old oil can produce drag.

Bleed the system. And make sure the mastercilinder is properly set.

Opening the clutch cover is no hassle. You won't have to drain the water.

Just remove the frontpipe and the kickstart, put the machine down on one side(otherwise you will loose oil),loosen all the bolts and off it goes.

ps:look at my avatar :P that is your clutch also

Why do you remove the front pipe?

When the plates swell a significant amount the clutch lever becomes heavy to operate. it's very simple to dismantle the clutch but as everyone says you should change your oil first and often