Duluth Report

jjwhite

are we going to get a report on the action on day two at duluth, like we have had with all the other rounds?

how was it, was it pretty much one sided?

or was it a close battle between the top 5 or 6?

where does that leave the series standings?

I'm sure normal service will be resumed once Andy's Laptop has dried out. In the meantime if you want to know what happened to DL, then his Day 2 report is up on the Honda UK site at: http://www.honda-racing.co.uk/twowheels/of...icle.asp?a=2159

Championship looks like:

1. Fuji 96 Pts

2. DL 94 Pts

3. Caby 94 Pts

4 Raga 89 Pts

Tight at the top :P

Not sure.... I just got home, I can give a few details. The creek sections were officially closed for the second loop from flash floods. Dougie said it was an excellent call given he would have been swept up into Lake Superior. His bike was submerged once. His right wrist was trashed from a crash and had ice on it.

It was a Fugi-Gas day from start to finish. Dougie did fight back earning the best second loop score of 15 but still could'nt overtake Albert or Fugi. Dougie and FugiGas cleaned 11 sections.

A note, Graham Jarvis is one of the best class act guys ( "spot on" for the brits ) you will ever meet. Him and Ed his minder allowed my cousin to be a pack mule for the weekend and didn't treat him like a mule at all. Graham treated him as one of the team. By the way, I think Noel did a killer job too.

I enjoy sharing the events actions with all readers, even though I was the third tier reporter for TC this weekend covering our 125 American Youth Cup kids was a blast. I put some photos of Dani and Loris, Matteo and Christian in there... but clearly I was a homeboy reporter with-out any excuses.

Stevie and Cody were out-wittted and lost the mind game battle but learned lot's on the world game. I can't say if Stevie wants to try it again? I tried offering little tips for each of them along the way, but nothing could overcome the weather and change of machine size. Cody nailed section two, loop two...what effort, if anyone saw it. He dug out a 3 on day two, loop one, everyone including Dani fived it, Dani did clean it on the first loop.

Mark and Stevie are a great team together, sometimes though I thought Kip could be a bit less demanding vocal wise and more supportive. The crowds did notice this stuff. Everything we do now is under a microscope.

Loris and Dani have a career in landscaping and path building if trials never works out for them. They sure can groom a section to their liking. The euro kids waited out the competition for up to 40 minutes for one section on the first loop. Dani told me he would have waited Cody out another 20 minutes if he had too. These two euro kids are pros already.

Steve and Sarah Claire Alhers along with lot's of others so many too mention did a fantastic job. If someone from Minnesota wants to start naming the group list names... feel free... they earned it and more, what an event.

Edited by City Trials

Stevie and Cody were out-wittted and lost the mind game battle but learned lot's on the world game. ... Cody nailed section two, loop two...what effort, if anyone saw it. He dug out a 3 on day two, loop one, everyone including Dani fived it, Dani did clean it on the first loop.

Mark and Stevie are a great team together, sometimes though I thought Kip could be a bit less demanding vocal wise and more supportive. The crowds did notice this stuff. Everything we do now is under a microscope.

Loris and Dani have a career in landscaping and path building if trials never works out for them. They sure can groom a section to their liking.

First of all, to say that Cody nailed section two (lap two) is an understatement. I was observing section two both days and he was the only clean we had on Saturday. We were all sitting around under a tent near the entrance of the section, waiting for the riders to start showing up when it started raining. Cody & Kip came tearing up and immediately wanted to ride the section; we barely had enough time to scramble up the hillside and take our places. Cody blasted up it like he had been practicing it all his life, It was quite impressive. I

A note, Graham Jarvis is one of the best class act guys ( "spot on" for the brits ) you will ever meet. Him and Ed his minder allowed my cousin to be a pack mule for the weekend and didn't treat him like a mule at all. Graham treated him as one of the team. By the way, I think Noel did a killer job too.

If it wasn't for Bruce scoring points the guy I next feel pleased for is Grimbo. Hell he's had to take some knocks in his career.

After checking out the results, the extra 2 points wouldn't have changed the standings in this situation.

Now, chances are...you are caught doing this once, you are doing this more than once...

OK, let's be fair and say it's done a 1/3 of the time and gone un-noticed. That would be 20 points off the score card given there are 10 of the 30 sections per event.

Let's say you do this, not get caught and get a clean... that's another five off the card.

Get the picture. Lot's of points can be shaved.

I see nothing wrong with removing sticks or leafs, breaking a stick from a tree that might poke an eye out, making a outline mark with the boot to secure a mental angle to use, kicking loose rocks out of the way.

It's the using the boot's to move rocks into a set postition for leverage, using the hands to do the same. I find worthy of a five call.

Photo review.

Here's a call that could have changed the standings.

Section five... day two... loop one.

Matteo has clearly scored a five, but he got a three on the card. His mechenic/minder is in the section.

Rules stated which sections could have how many helpers/minders/mechenics in on a certain section, 125 Youth Cup was said to have no one in any of the sections other than the rider. Period. Did the observers get this printed sheet?

Matteo came in second, one point ahead of Loris. This would have changed the results by two points putting Loris in second.

Question, does the press have the right to say... hey that was a bad call, check the rule book? In most other sports, commentators do this all the time.

Edited by City Trials

I think some times the rules have to be interpreted fairly. The minder thing seems daft to me.

When I observed at Hawkstone, I kept the minders clear of the section except when catching. I see no problem with catchers being in the section while their rider is in it. I'd rather that than a rider break his neck.

The kicker thing is maybe a bit of a difficult one. What's the difference between kicking a few loose rocks away from the line, and kicking a few loose rocks in to the line.

Of course picking the rock up and placing it is a bit more obvious.

Someone made a comment when I kicked loose twigs aside a few weeks ago, but it seems a bit petty.