Water Pump Seal After Over Heat?

uhoh7

I have my fan on a switch, and accidentally turned it off long enough last night on a big ride in the mountains to do a proper GG overheat :(

IE water in oil.

My understanding is that, dueing one of these episodes, the o-ring goes and the piston then pressurizes the cooling system and blows water past the seal.

In this case, I have recently done the water pump kit, including the seal.

Obviously I need to replace the o-ring ( i keep spares), but I wonder if I should expect the month old water pump seal to be OK after such abuse?

TY so much for advice

2006 txt pro 300

Edited by uhoh7

Replaced the o-ring, fired it up, and it spit water into the crankcase in short order. Pulled the water pump, and the seal was blown almost inside out.

So, for those interested, when your oil goes white, change the water pump seal as well as the o-rings. The shafts wear over time, and hence the "kit", but in my case the shaft is new, so the seal should be enough.

On my last "kit", the small pin was quite loose, and it was tricky to get it to stay "in" when remounting the pump.

Is this normal, and could it get loose?

PS, UhOh7

You honestly should buy the water temp sensor and fix that, this way you wont have those "UhOh" moments. Scarring and nipping a piston is serious $$...

Then a FWIW: Gasgas for a long time was having the little shafts "hardened" or something by someone, that the process was NOT right, they were not chromed or hardened right, and grooves wore into the little shaft pretty in pretty short time.

Not long ago, I have been TOLD, that they finally fixed this issue, and if you got relatively new repair kit (like $90 USD) that comes with seal shaft & impeller, et al.... that shaft should last longer. But I haven't had to change one in quite a while. oldest bike I currently have is a 2010.