Gasgas Txt50 Boy Or Beta Rev50?

emapa01

Hi,

I am after a bit of info please, my lad has done 2 yrs now on his 36volt OSET and is ready to progress to a petrol bike, I like the look of both of these bikes and have seen both in action, but was wondering about the pro's and cons for both before I sell the Oset. I Would be grateful if anyone has had any experience with either of these bikes or if anyone knows of a nice 2nd hand one up for grabs.

Cheers Andy, Notts.

The Gas Gas is the small wheel version, the Rev50 is medium wheel of standard wheel possibly, so physical size is probably the biggest thing. My lad is currently on a small wheel sherco 50, but we've just got hold of a rev 50 medium wheel for him to move onto later this year.

Moving from the Oset to the Rev might be a bit much initially but depends on age etc. the Rev also has a conventional clutch, don't think the Gas gas does, could be wrong though.

:)

My lad went from a PW50 to a Rev 50 when he was 7 and did ok on it after three or four outings. Changing gear whilst moving was the hardest bit for him to learn but he got there in the end. He's on a 125 these days. My 8 year old lad is now on a GG TXT 70 Rookie and loving it, but he can't pull it round a tree or over a rock like he could if he was on a Beta Minitrial or a GG 50, so he can't enter trials at the moment. I like both the Gasser and the Rev50 but I suspect the Gasser would be more reliable, and the smaller size would make proper trials riding easier, important if he wants to compete. If you can afford to change bikes regularly, then get the GG for now and move up to the Rev or the bigger GG later. If like me you can't chop and change, he'll probably manage with the Rev50 if he's tall enough.

PS. Don't confuse the Beta Minitrial with a Beta Rev 50, I've seen that mistake on ebay loads of times, 2 very different machines.

The older gas gas boys had ignition problems. ( Not sure of the current models) So knowing this my boy got a Beta mini trial, Then went through two ty80`s, to a gas gas txt70 which was a great bike. The ty80 fills in the gap. Just needs geared down to where the clutch really does not matter.

• 1 month later...

Hey please excuse my ignorance but I am too looking at getting youngest into trials and have a similar dilimer but wondered how the clutch worked on the gasgas ?

I understand how the centrifugal clutch works on the initial start but what happens when lets say the revs are down and they are coasting ( not down hill under load) ?? will it drop out of gear and the require them to rev it up again to get it into one of the two pre selected gears ?

Thanks in advance people

Regards

Dougie

• 3 months later...

Hey please excuse my ignorance but I am too looking at getting youngest into trials and have a similar dilimer but wondered how the clutch worked on the gasgas ?

I understand how the centrifugal clutch works on the initial start but what happens when lets say the revs are down and they are coasting ( not down hill under load) ?? will it drop out of gear and the require them to rev it up again to get it into one of the two pre selected gears ?

Thanks in advance people

Regards

Dougie

The gas gas is basicly rev and go with hi and low gears that are pre selected, They also have a neutral but can not be changed while on the go.

The pick up is very smooth even with standard gearing providing the clutch has 2 springs instead of 4 ( some bikes were shipped with 4 springs just remove 2, I rebuilt a 2011 the other week and that had 4 springs).

It's ridden just like the osset rev and brake, down hills are no problem, it's easier to ride than the osset as the pick up is smoother and they dont have the engine braking effect like the osset.

My son rode an osset for his 1st trial and sort of got the hang of it but the battery went after a few hours and it isn't fun for him to watch all the other kids still going on their petrol bikes. 2nd trial I stuck him on a gas gas I was expecting the worst as he was a nervous lad at the time but he jumped straight on it and rode it better than the osset.

The Ignitions go on all the gas gas boy's not just the early models, they changed the early ones slightly but 05 to present had the slightly more reliable system, however it will cost about a grand to put the late ignition on a pre 05 bike

As long as you remove the ignition cover after every trial and dry it out it should be fine. The early bike, apart from the ignition, is built so much better than the newer ones.

To be honest all the newer small bikes, gas gas, beta, sherco etc, scream chinese in the build department, they are junk but we have no choice as the japs won't build a modern TY 80.

Clutch action on the Beta minitrial is snachy it has to be reved really high to engage not really for trials but an ok field bike.

• 1 year later...

My grandson has had both the Gas Gas Boy and the Beta Minatorial LC, The Gas Gas was one of the early ones with the appalling electrics, I finally got these to work reliably when the clutch failed, to cut along story short the bike was thrown to the back of the garage a year ago and not moved since.

i purchased the Beta LC which the lad took to really well considering, yes the clutch is not as smooth as the Gas Gas but it does make the lad control the throttle and he can make it jump up onto rocks, riding in mud is interesting, grass it does not like. We had a few accidents where he missed the back brake on downhills and ended up in a pile at the bottom usual with me underneath. mainly because he missed the rear brake pedal. So i used an old clutch cylinder and old rev 3 front brake pipe and plumbed in a 2nd rear brake option for him, now if he goes over the crest of a hill he can either use the brake pedal or the clutch lever. When he rides sections he tends top use the clutch lever (now the 2nd rear brake) to control the rear wheel if it spins,

The suspension is not as plush as the gas gas but with a bit of messing you could get it better. The engine in the Beta is the what KTM fitted in the 50SX from 2006 on, there is plenty of manuals on how to set the clutch up, from smooth to wheeling machine, This one is still standard all i have done is put extra 100cc oil in the box to stop the clutch overheating.

• 1 month later...

My son had a gas gas boy. On one outing the chain came of and wrapped around the gear selector. This resulted in the shaft of the gear selector getting bent, resulting in me having to strip the engine to replace the shaft. If you go for the gas gas make sure you keep the chain tensioned.