198B Gearing

boghopper350

Hi I have just got myself a 198b in what looks to be very original condition. I will be using the bike for easy trials as I'm not the best of riders. I have a 199a that is a bit too highly geared, if I remember correctly it's got 11/39 gearing ( I'll check this is correct). The 250 needs new chain and sprockets, so before I go any further could anyone give me their thoughts on what works best for them on this bike. I have tried to post some really dodgy pictures of the bike. Any thoughts, good or bad would be appreciated.

post-17408-0-99743400-1372363099_thumb.jpg

post-17408-0-29083800-1372363168_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

hi i also have a 198B and it dose have 11T and 39T ive never had any problems with the gearing but you could buy a 40 rear or 41 -42 sprocket 12 front but i keep it 11 39 when i got my 199B that had 42 rear didnt like it hope this helps.

was this the 198B that was on ebay the other week? from durham? looks like it i was tempted to buy it but got to much going on. in my option i would leave the 11T 39T am not a good rider but i find this set up works for me its just trial and error but not cheap to buy to lots of sprockets. dose the bike run ok? what do you plan on doing to it full restore? these bikes are rare i was going to sell mine but ive desided to keep it. id be sorry to see it go

Yes Bondy it was on ebay, but in Dereham Norfolk , not Durham. It was running, but only just. I mucked out the air box, oiled filter, gave it a good service (fluids etc). Then checked out the points and found everything inside the casing wringing wet, so stripped that out, cleaned everything, set points and timing And it was still as rough as! Suspected crank seals or carb after stripping that out and finding a worn slide (typical amal). I had an oko sitting around that I bought for my m49 a while back, but never fitted so gave that a try. Got that set really well. I tried it round the garden over mrs boghoppers rockery and I'm extremely pleased, so pleased in fact that I'm using it this weekend at a local trial. Sorry but you asked if it ran! I won't be restoring it, I like it how it is, I'll just do any stuff that needs doing. Many thanks :beer:

• Like 1

the only thing that needs doing is the rear wheel needs tuning.and a new tyre i will take it to be done and have the hub relind at the same time evrrything else is fine runs sweet as a nut. credit to its former owner who as been rebuilding bultacos for 40 years. i will keep this 1 as its rare both engin .and frame numbers match. i also have a original headlight for the 198B

After a weekend living in a field and riding this bike around sections for two days, I now know that it definately wont end up in a museum, or someones bedroom. It's gonna be used for what it was built for, all be it with a complete buffoon on board. This bike is fantastic!!! New tyres and chain and sprockets, and you never know it may even make me a kind of ok rider!

• Like 3

Hi I have just got myself a 198b in what looks to be very original condition. I will be using the bike for easy trials as I'm not the best of riders. I have a 199a that is a bit too highly geared, if I remember correctly it's got 11/39 gearing ( I'll check this is correct). The 250 needs new chain and sprockets, so before I go any further could anyone give me their thoughts on what works best for them on this bike. I have tried to post some really dodgy pictures of the bike. Any thoughts, good or bad would be appreciated.

yeah, you need to render over that clay lump ;-]