Restoring My C15T?

bazbro

Hi,

I've inherited my late Dad's '60 C15T and, despite not riding Trials (but a motorcyclist for over 50 years), I intend to restore it.

I'm not clear yet quite how to go about it, what my priorities are or should be, and... I am NOT a mechanic! But I know my limitations and I don't intend to sod the 'bike up through ignorance. I'm going to convert it to 12v and fit Boyer Bransden electronic ignition (it was a bugger for my poor old Dad to start!) as I'm OK on electrics - I fitted a Boyer Bransden to a Sammy Miller Trials Cub I once owned. Then I need someone good to completely rebuild the engine (with the desirable mods) - someone good and not someone who just thinks they're good!! I've considered SRM (expensive) but not yet had a reply to the email I sent them.

I'm unsure whether to then run it for a while in tatty condition with the good engine, or jump in with both feet, completely strip it down, powder-coat, polish, rechrome and repaint everything and then put it back again (a bit daunting for me, I confess). And none of this can start until September anyway when I have an empty garage to work in. So plenty of time to plan!

I'm happy to take advice and recommendations from anywhere and anyone! This is all new for me - a classic Trials bike and a restoration too.

Thanks and best wishes,

Barry

post-18628-0-50863300-1372846107_thumb.jpg

post-18628-0-14247600-1372846141_thumb.jpg

Just fit electronic ignition, a bike that does not start or run properly is not worth the hassle, replace any worn bits in the carb, check & replace cables as reqd, strip & reassemble the brakes to see if the linings are still good & secured to the shoes, replace tyres if they are old and had it then wipe over with an oily rag, job done.

Edited by trialsrfun
  • Like 1

I agree with everybody else. the world is full of over restored bikes and to be honest competition bikes should be used not bloody garage queens for all the anoraks at shows to endlessly debate about.

the bike is a bit of a difficult one in as much as it would be a shame to change it other than renew worn parts etc as it's great as is. There would be no point in trying to ride it competitively either as it will get trashed. So it's future is probably green laneing while we still can or the occasional long distance trial.

Whatever it's your bike so up to you but i'd just keep it as is and replace tyres, you might struggle to find a front though, and possibly electronic ignition. Boyer is ok if you're not serious about competing on it.

• Like 2

Hi Guys.

Hi Baz!

Look ,just keep that bike clean ,and don't even think about converting it to electronic ignition?

You have a Jem of a bike there, and has been said a piece of history. Don't change anything on it

There at just not any of these bikes left like this.

Mail me on www.bsaotter.com I would love to do a page on this bike and its history.

Regards Charlie.

• Like 1

Thank you all SO much for your responses - more interest than I hoped for and a lot for me to consider.

I'm in a real quandary now... I'm approaching 70 and I've never ridden Trials (but an enthusiastic spectator!) so I really can't see me starting now. I've actually tried off-road and it ain't for me! I tested one of the Met Police ISDT 500 Triumphs ('Mini' Minskip's 'bike, for any that knew him) at Hungry Hill and I terrified myself, descending a steep sandy gully far too fast and unable to stop. Unable to do anything actually, apart from hang on for dear life and pray! Even Green Lane-ing on a DRZ400 was a miserable experience. So I don't think this C15T will ever go off-road in my incapable hands!

It's rusting and the engine's not run for over 10 years, maybe even 15 (my Dad was 97 when he passed away). The photos belie the true poor state that it's in. But nevertheless, you've given me another angle to consider - someone else said "Just get it past an MoT and ride it" and you all seem to concur with that.

Hmmm...

No, I take your point about the condition.

In my experience some work is always required to produce a reliable bike from what

is after all a 50 year old machine.

But there is absolutely no need to over restore the bike or make it into a 'modern' pre-65 trialer.

The ignition question - I believe the original, energy transfer system, never worked

particularly well even in more knowledgeable and more youthful hands.

If you can get it running and starting well with the energy transfer system all credit to you.

But the modern electronic systems are very good and hidden from sight therefore

need not detract from the historic appeal of the machine. As Woody once said, a modern

electronic system is the best money you will ever spend on the bike.

But really, worry not, you have a gem, well worth the effort and any money you may care to put in.

Use it on the road, green lanes, observing at trials, a great retirement project and toy.

Only my opinions and thoughts of course.

Kind Regards

Sparks

Edited by sparks2

Thanks for that, Sparks.

I'm gradually getting my head round what I would like to achieve with this, and I've taken on board all your comments, folks.

Clearly, the engine has got to run, run reliably, and start easily!!! So that's Number One task. Then brakes, suspension, cables and wiring - all working properly. New tyres, then MoT it and ride it. Yes?

I can let the rust fester for a bit longer while I think about things, but I know the horrible appearance will eventually get to me! Then I'll just have to restore a few bits, the worst bits. Like the fork headlamp brackets...

post-18628-0-53278400-1373402054_thumb.jpg

• 4 months later...

Hi,

Most of the responses have given you good advice - really just get the bike into tidy, rideable condition complete with MOT and then get out into the open air and ENJOY it.

I appreciate your interest isn't in trials riding but one piece of advice I can offer.

I knew all the BSA works riders personally and often rode with them in both local and national trials and they ALL far preferred the C15 pulling power compared to the B40, they all tried the 343 versions as demanded by the works, but you could never find elusive grip on a slippery slope with the 343 like you could with the 250 - so to all you budding pre-65 stars out there, spending fortunes building ultra special B40 based bikes why don't you ask yourselves ---'why bother?'.

Pre-65 trials were intended to enjoy - not to cost a fortune. Remember we only created the sport because we couldn't afford to buy a NEW Bultaco, Montesa or Ossa when they took over standard trials.

Edited by laird387

Hi Guy's

Hi Deryk.

I think firstly you are right about the B40s back then, But now that fortunes have been spent on bikes of a similar capacity as a BSA B40, but nothing the same in the engine ?hardly any way. some do find more grip, most C15's are up near the same capacity too.

I bet when you coined the phrase "Pre65" you had know idea where it would go to in the future and what controversy it would cause did you?

Nearly full circle I feel!! we now need to try and build ourselves a cheaper version, of a Classic looking trials bike(one with a seat) even if we do have to use a motor from the far east.that was in existance before 1964-5.

I am like most people,so it seems building a BSA Bantam, just to see how much one can be built for, biggest cost now seems to be the wheels.

I was just coinsidently skipping through ORR. number70 and on page 33 it has Michael Martin, at Redmarley in 1968 with the development alloy barrelled 175 Bantam, we now in 2013 seem to be doing this same thing again????

What goes around comes around???

Regards Charlie. www.bsaotter.com :icon_salut: