Sorry, But The '72 Mar Newbie Has Another Question...

hotshoe63

Hey guys, I WILL GET A BOOK...SOON :) but, in the mean time I'm trying to sort a couple of things out so I can get a little riding in.

I noticed a couple of bolts missing from the rear of the bash plate on my bike which probably accounts for a lot of the noise my bike seems to make. The more I looked at it, which really wasn't very long, it "seemed" pretty apparent that the only way to get the bolts in and get nuts on them, which are under the rear of the engine, is to 1.) remove the engine, 2.) bolt/nut up the bash plat, 3.) put the engine back in....IS THAT RIGHT!? Seems like it has to be but, certainly not very convenient. It looks like with the bash plate in place, getting the engine back in is going to be a pretty snug fit. If that's the way it is...that's the way it is but, I've already got another idea...I think.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks,

Shoe

Edited by hotshoe63

Thanks there Canada but, while your method may help with the front mounts, it won't help with the rears. The nuts for the rear mounts/bracket are in a VERY TIGHT space between the engine and bracket.

But thanks again,

Shoe

The 4 nuts at the rear of my skid plate aren't out in the open, but they're not that hard to get to. The 2 on the right side are accessible from the side; while the 2 on the left are easiest to get at from the rear.

Do you have a photo of your skid plate, maybe it's different than mine?

Edited by sherpat

The bolts on the clutch side thread directly into the frame, they don't have nuts. As do the centre ones. The lug on the frame has a block welded to it that is threaded - over time, they may have stripped. The lug on the timing side uses a nut and bolt.

The problem is the bashplate gets bent up in the middle over years of rock bashing which forces the rear downwards, which means it no longer fits properly. You can get them pressed back into shape if you have access to presses etc. Then the rear of the bashplate will once again mate up with the bottom of the frame.

Not sure what happens to the fibreglass bashplate over time as I've never had one

I only ever bolt it up from the ignition side, it's enough to hold it and they are much more accessible to get a nut and bolt through. I've also opened up the holes a bit to allow for mis-shapen bashplates to help the holes line up.

If you manage to get a MAR engine out of, or into, the frame with a bashplate fitted, without a hacksaw or cutting disc, I'd like to see a video of it.....

• Like 3