At What Point Do You Lose Traction?

Hi guys, a bit of a dumb question. ...

When do you guys decide to change your tires, front and rear?

Im presuming tire condition is more critical on trials so at whT point will tire wear effect your riding (understand this will differ acording to skill level).

Thanks

I guess it depends on the time of year and whether you're competing or just 'playing'? I generally leave a back tyre until the front side of the nobbles obviously look rounded, then spin it, when the other side is rounded i'll replace. As for the front, not really sure, just replace it at the same time as the back for good measure?

on my last bike i left the tires on and competed for 6 seasons. i rode at least 2 weekends a month and competed in about 6 events per year. i don't normally do that but when my daughter came into my world i just didn't worry about spending the money and wasn't riding much. now i change them whenever i feel the need. also i think i concentrated on riding position more with the old tires on. riding the sportsman line i don't think it mattered much anyway.

i will say it sure was nice to get a new bike and new tires after riding the same bike for 6 years. most say the beta has problems but i never really had any issue that wasn't really related to me crashing and breaking something.

i'd say change tires as budget and your own need arises.

rob

I usually replace the rear tire every 2 years. ride one season then flip the tire then ride a season and then replace. I do notice a bit of a difference in traction towards the end of the season when the leading edge of the knobs is rounded. (but too cheap to replace every year)

Front tire I replace it about every 3-4 yrs, usually when the front end starts washing/sliding out on turns. I have known some riders to replace their front tire after about 6 yrs, but don't neglect the front tire. It makes a big difference in turning if the front has traction.

Thanks guys. My tires are quite poked. Mainly due to age, tons of cracks all over the place. I have new tires, mitchelin x lite rear and a mitas front. Got the x lite with the bike and went cheaper on the front.

My first trial is on the 11aug and I would only get to put my new tires on the day before, would this be too risky doing it the day before.......im woried something goes wrong and a tire leaks or something daft like that and I dont get to ride.