Wheel Bearings

top_beta

Can anyone shed light on how to remove the wheel bearings from a 2011 EVO front wheel ? There is no lip on the central spacer to use to knock it through and i don't want to start damaging the hub trying to get the bearings out. Also what is the bearing code for the front bearings ? I was expecting 6004 2rs as in the rears but they are clearly a smaller size

Yep, ideally you need to take the seal out and then used a proper bearing puller. If you have access to a MIG welder then weld something onto the bearing to block the hole in the middle, you can then punch it out with a rod from the other side.

Not sure what the effects of heat on the aluminum will be, but 200 F. is usually enough to grow aluminum as much as you need.

If you heat the hub, the bearing will probably drop out.

I do this all the time with steel.

I suppose the spokes are mild steel and in no danger of becoming harder or softer from the heat.

You can also bust out the bearing and put a bead of weld around the remaining race.

When the weld cools, the race will just drop out.

It's kind of fun to walk away from it, start working on something else, and, a few minutes later, hear the CLINK of the race hitting the floor,

Edited by charlie chitlins

Use a close fitting socket/piece of pipe trough the centre of the bearing, then gently tap and drift the centre tube (in the hub) untill it starts to push the opposite bearing out. Bearing only needs to move a few mm to free the centre tube. Then you can get a screw driver or drift punch in their and drift bearing out normally. It is a fiddly job but works.

When you have the bearing out, for next time..........cut a slot/notch out of one side of the centre tube. Then next time you just drift the notch side bearing out and then the other side.

• Like 1

the small tube in the center is only held in place by foam. push a long brass punch through the center, push the tube off to the side, and drive the bearing out..

take the old bearing to a bearing supply house, and buy hard use bearings.. you will spend 12.00 for each one...sealed on one side..and they will last forever, just keep them greased and clean..

most motorcycle companies use light duty bearings.. high speed hard use bearings can be got in the same dems as the the light duty you removed, they just cost a little more money,

same thing for fork seals.. buy hard use, caustic material use seals..keep them clean..they last forever..

i use seals made for concrete pumps...they work awesome..