Center Exhaust Damage Repair?

j__h

Here is the damage I am seeing on the center exhaust of my new to me 2006 SY250, it is a pyramid shape from the corner of the engine number block. With the tip just puncturing it, I also hear that some weld cracks but I cannot see any signs of that I wonder if there should be any reinforcement of a particular weld when I am getting the puncture taken care of?

2013-07-29225232_zps6e79578d.jpg

2013-07-29225307_zps1230f8bf.jpg

and culprit, Red points to corner and I am wondering if the piece of coolant pipe (yellow arrow) placed there is stock or if it maybe was put there in reaction to this issue, I think it may even make it worse by pushing the midpipe onto the corner:

2013-07-29225157-1_zps7db6a8be.jpg

So now the question is how much of that corner should I be taking off and should I do more than just the corner, like Both rear corners and the rear edge. I would assume the entire block is superfluous material but I would rather get some verification first as to what I should be doing in order to have this not occur again or incur more damage from excessive grinding.

Here it is cleaned up a little:

2013-07-29233918_zps14e246a7.jpg

Edited by j__h

Looks to me like that number boss might serve double duty strengthening the swingarm pivot area.

And anytime you grind on a number boss, you risk the appearance of wrong-doing.

Methinks you'd be much better off shaping the exhaust to keep the problem from happening again.

I did some minimal rounding, but I think it should be sufficient just getting rid of that sharp corner.

2pG3Q9F.jpg

The weld is fairly ugly due to the oil that could not fully be removed from inside the pipe, but it should work.

5iEN5s8.jpg

• 3 months later...