Arizona National Feedback

martin belair

The Central Arizona Trials (CAT) put on a first class National this past weekend. Great organization, terrain and section were tops, only 4.5 hours from LA, cool 70 deg days and occasional thunderstorms, I thought I was in Colorado. BUT..... the turn out was low. Only 65 riders. It would be good to know why turnout for western Nationals is low. Please give us your opinion.

Martin

Cody Webb is scheduled to race EnduroX this weekend in LA yet didn't ride last weekend in AZ. His foot must be healed but I wonder if he will be back to trials? Same situation with Louise Forsley. Talent goes where the money is and X-Games gold nets $50K while a trials national win gets $500. He could have easily won $300 for 2nd in AZ but even a 10th place in X-Games wins $1000.

Arizona in July it too hot. Price of gas. To far to drive from the east coast.

Trials was at 7000'. Cool temps. Don't think we hit 80 all weekend. I understand that its too far from the east coast but the turn out was low from CA, NM and CO. I'm trying to figure out what we can do to improve participation by those that are less than a days drive away.

For a start take a look at the CAT (Central Arizona Trials web site. Hardly a great advertisement for a trials club let alone a national. The web site does not really scream come ride our national event does it.

In comparison the web site advertising for the national in CA last year was well done by the SCTA.

Does the NATC monitor the advertising by the host club and the AMA etc leading up to the events?

I think the other issue was a hesitation of long range planning due to the wild fires in the area as there was a 50/50 chance that the event was going to be canceled by the onset of brush fires.

Just my two cents. :icon_salut:

Edited by billyt

The Central Arizona Trials (CAT) put on a first class National this past weekend. Great organization, terrain and section were tops, only 4.5 hours from LA, cool 70 deg days and occasional thunderstorms, I thought I was in Colorado. BUT..... the turn out was low. Only 65 riders. It would be good to know why turnout for western Nationals is low. Please give us your opinion.

Martin

So Cal supplied almost 10 % of the entry and considering we are only getting 30 or 40 riders at our local events, it all seems normal to me.

(And Thanks for Checkin Martin)

Hi Martin:

having attended the first US Nationals I had been to since 93 when we were in NY and VT, the AZ and NM were never in our plans purely down to scedule and what worked at home here. All I can add is that I am sure the forest fire danger might have played into some peoples decision, also, I dont know the areas well and was told because of the elevation (just like you have reported!) the riding in these two states in July would not be an issue. Glad to hear that it wasn't. But maybe that might have something to do with it too!

As Kramit has stated though too, its more an example of the state of the sport too....I was shocked to see that there are now only 5 Pro riders competing. They are all fine riders and great people from what I saw. But boy is it a far cry from what I remember when it was tough just to get into the top 10 in a National. (Risk of sounding like an old fogey).

Don't feel too bad though guys, we are light years behind you with what we are doing in Canada. That was the one thing I came home with after our experience. Not so much the events, but what we are doing to bring young guys along and make them better!

for me...i had planned on it..but a couple reasons...first...July in Az? had me a little worried after i got over heated last year in Ca.

cost....Fee to ride. fuel, motel, eats...id be out 1500.00

time frame with other stuff. and work...

money really was the reason for me.. i would have delt with the heat had there been any.

i spent well over 50 grand last year just for the pleasure of beating up a motorcycle..

cant do that this year...i ride modern and vintage venues..and this year i put a 350 mile cap on the distance..

at 3.79 a gallon for fuel..thats easier on my wallet.

just some imput...maybe drop in the entry fee a few bucks..say 65.00 for both days..and no gate fees. they would make more in the long run. i know its alot of work...but the wallets are hurtin.

Pro riders//

they can do county fair stunt shows and make money doing bunny hopps, nose wheelies and check out the hot chicks..and have no drama..

or,,

ride the nationals.. spend money to ride..and maybe get a couple hundred bucks back..

then deal with drama, and some hard asses...

cant say i blame em.

i love our pro riders...but i undertand the choice..

Edited by chuckindenver

Chuck, I have to agree with one thing for sure, the cost of doing Nationals is huge! Just a casual observance, that most who are doing all of the events, are fairly well off.....from the amount of huge rigs I saw in NY and VT! the cost alone sure helps in dwindle the entry. Perhaps in the future, the council should do some cost analysis comparing a full series, to a maybe a 4 event Championship between two different states, and within one week. If you wanna ride, sure would make it simple that you need to ride all 4 events. Or, perhaps and east and west series, decided by 4events central to everyone in the format I described....just food for thoughté

Chuck, I have to agree with one thing for sure, the cost of doing Nationals is huge! Just a casual observance, that most who are doing all of the events, are fairly well off.....from the amount of huge rigs I saw in NY and VT! the cost alone sure helps in dwindle the entry. Perhaps in the future, the council should do some cost analysis comparing a full series, to a maybe a 4 event Championship between two different states, and within one week. If you wanna ride, sure would make it simple that you need to ride all 4 events. Or, perhaps and east and west series, decided by 4events central to everyone in the format I described....just food for thoughté

4 or 5 years ago we did two 3 day weekends and although I remember it not being to popular amongst the riders, it was much more affordable to ride the series.

Here in Colorado we had a trial event near Denver on Sunday the 29th. which had a large showing of riders. I had once considered going to the national in Arizona but lack of time and money were my limiting factors. I'm guessing the reasons might be similar for others whom otherwise might have gone to your trial.