Arizona National Feedback

martin belair

already have the bad music cued up...bow shakka bowwow.. bring your dollars baby

I have a very creative imagination, which in most cases has served me very well

throughout my years.

In this case, it has become a curse..........:)

Jon

All good points brought up as to why low entries at our nationals.I really think they the natc needs too look at the system.I have been asking some of our club people about doing a national down the road in a few years.But with entrys down and placement on the calinder make or break you.I think a regional event or two in various locations and then a 2 or 3 day final moved around the country each year.Minnesota has not even 40 riders yet not worth all the work in my book.

Just drove by Unadilla Valley race track yesterday there national is this weekend .There is no lack of riders at there circus rigs lined up down the highway for a mile.

Just to much to compete with anymore.

In New York state this weekend

National Mx Unadilla,National Hydro boat racing at Whitney Point,ny.Nascar race at Watkins glen,ny and PGA golf with Tiger In Rochester.And I am sure there is more big stuff.

Martin if you read this send me a pm need some more imformation.

JR

It is a good idea what you suggest! Our club has been doing it for years now. At one time we had over 15 riders on our national team. Two to 4 guys would trailer the bikes out and the rest would fly in. We had several corporate and individual sponsors who paid most of the fuel and we always have our own riding gear. Team New Mexico.

Notice the word "Sponsors"..... which as far as I understand the definition to be. "somebody else that pays the cost of"

What Team WGASA needs are sponsors willing to pay for our fuel, entry fee, etc.... and we can showcase how much fun can be had using their products! because there is no way a Team WGASA member would consistently place in the top 3 in a class ..... well maybe if there is only 2 riders in the class.

Showing how much fun can be had may bring more riders in than having a handful of riders "bringing home the win" on a certain bike, certain helmet, boots or energy drink.

Just my wistful way of thinking and hoping.

• Like 2

thats a good point..

the bike rodeo...

since our vintage club is new and growing..we dont have lots of money to buy year end awards and plates..

how many years did we ride AHRMA ? how many year end plates did we ever get for our efforts ? 0

so.last year, i had some class winner plates {number boards} made up. and gave them out at that event..

since i trials mastered Turkey Rock. and hosted the rodeo, and paid for the cook out..

a few weeks before the event..

i drove all over colorado..and hit up every motorcycle dealer thats been selling stuff to our riders, and shamefully asked for free stuff to give away as prizes at the rodeo..

everyone had something...T shirts, Grips, gift cards. even Billy Burgner dug up some nice fork guards..

to be in the rodeo..cost you a donation of 5.00 per event..you can win any of the neet prizes i humped up..

all that money goes towards this years year end awards, and plates..

Apex Sports and my company Warpath Vintage donated 2 brand new Dunlop 803s and we have a raffle through the year, at 10.00 per ticket..and at the mosteller cup, ill draw a winner...

so far we have well over 500.00 in the awards account...so that the top 3 riders will get plates for 2013..it was a little work..but really not that bad..and

it show cases the riders and not the bikes.. i got so tired of hearing from AHRMA that Trials is to show case a few motorcycle that nobody rides..when in fact its the riders that spend the money to make it happen..

• Like 2

So here's some numbers for you. I traveled to all the nationals so far NY, VT, AZ, NM, plus the Eastern and Western Youth Nationals. All while pulling the Beta trials team trailer. I used my truck to haul the Beta trailer. Once there my son Ty and I set up the Beta pits for the riders. It was fun, but a lot of work!

Counting the World Round from California we drove 12,760 miles and traveled through 22 states. Plus we still have Duluth in a few weeks. Besides coming to the U.S. I don't think the world round riders even travel that many miles!

• Like 3

So here's some numbers for you. I traveled to all the nationals so far NY, VT, AZ, NM, plus the Eastern and Western Youth Nationals. All while pulling the Beta trials team trailer. I used my truck to haul the Beta trailer. Once there my son Ty and I set up the Beta pits for the riders. It was fun, but a lot of work!

Counting the World Round from California we drove 12,760 miles and traveled through 22 states. Plus we still have Duluth in a few weeks. Besides coming to the U.S. I don't think the world round riders even travel that many miles!

If you would've loaded up the bikes on Southwest airlines you'd have enough frequent flier miles to take mom on vacation to Paris :D

Well done Chuck, hats off to you and your entire attitude! I lived most of my youth the max under the same guidlines! Now I am a parent and trying to inspire my kids the same way! I hope we get to meet some day! I constantly take that same attitude and am very inspired by the sponsors out there who are willing to support my son! I think if more people had that infectous never say die attitude with this sport we'd all be better off! I thank you for all your efforts!

Sincerely, Steve

• Like 2

Very important numbers Chris, thanks for the firsthand perspective. Going to Duluth and back will add about 4200 miles to your total, putting you close to 17,000 miles for the season. 15,000 miles is an unofficial average for an NATC year.

Thanks to everyone for all the feedback. There were some very good insights, stuff that will help improve the series.

Edited by martin belair

my favorite event,,,the youth nats,. love the kids..they show me what this sport is really about...

Ty is looking great...likely he and Chase Abbot will be our next group of pro riders..

if you ever get to wrapped up in points, or mad for putting your foot down..just watch the kids..they will remind you how fun this is...

post-17490-0-90851400-1376185422_thumb.jpg

post-17490-0-78477000-1376185447_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Pro riders//

they can do county fair stunt shows and make money doing bunny hopps, nose wheelies and check out the hot chicks..and have no drama..

or,,

ride the nationals.. spend money to ride..and maybe get a couple hundred bucks back..

then deal with drama, and some hard asses...

cant say i blame em.

i love our pro riders...but i undertand the choice..

That says it right there. There are other factors as well too, like the difficulty of the sections and the section marshalls. Colorado was a great example. Us pros, most of which DO pay for our own travel expenses and bikes and DO NOT make any money from it (despite popular belief ont his particular forum) are being told we must wear a helmet to walk the section, usually after parking the bike at the bottom of the hill and walking to the top. We are also threatened with 5s if our minder enters a section without asking, even if its THEIR rider in the section. One section even had a scorer telling us we couldn't walk a section if there was a rider in it. I don't blame the scorers as they are just doing what they are told. the question is, who told them these were rules? None of them are, I looked them up. Couple that with REALLY difficult sections (Keith had almost 100 points, and that was good enough for third) and I think you can see how much fun riding Pro is. In other words, we pay good amounts of money to essentially punch thru sections, tear good bikes and good bodies up, then get threatened with a 5 anyways if we don't abide by a rule that doesn't exist.

Granted, as Chuck pointed out, the meat of the nationals isn't in the upper classes. However, Pro is the premier class, and I think it sends a powerful message when THAT many of us leave, especially when it looks like no one in the next year will be stepping up to fill in. Kind of takes away from the prestige of competing at nationals at any level...

• Like 1

http://www.mototrial...12412-Final.pdf

From the NATC website. Supplemental rules Section G "Minders"

also here under rules updates:

http://www.mototrial...update_2013.pdf

6) Minder must sign all required release form and wear approved riding apparel at all times.

7. Minder must abide by all non-competition rider rules. Minders are only allowed in the Sections when their riders are attempting a section or as otherwise allowed by the observer.

I don't see where it says that riders must wear a helmet while walking the section. You may have a point there.

I have seen it both ways. Misunderstanding or not knowing the rules is something that both riders and observers are guilty of. and yes we are reviewing the NATC rule book.

Yes, it is a tough road being a Pro rider. But stop for a moment and step outside yourself. I checked both days in AZ with 2 great guys. All 3 of us had spent hundreds of $$$ and traveled many miles to stand in the woods and check and that is NOTHING compared to the work and $$ put in by the organizers. Why do it ? Because we love Trials.

Over the 2 days checking in AZ only one minder asked permission to enter the section. A couple always stayed outside the ribbon and the rest just walked through the section until told to get out.

NATC is just a bunch of volunteers just like any local club. It's easy to criticize and over the years I have been a part of NATC and at the same time critic of the way things are done. The good news is that there is new blood at NATC and I am optimistic about the future.

One thing I love about the way NATC is run that if you criticize something then you need to be ready to man up with a solution and fix it.

Yes a lot needs to be improved but these are the people that step up and DO THE WORK. The fact is that this sport runs on volunteer power.

Should there be professional observers, big Pro purses, big $$ sponsors and TV coverage, of course.

we pay good amounts of money to essentially punch thru sections, tear good bikes and good bodies up, then get threatened with a 5 anyways if we don't abide by a rule that doesn't exist.

You don't like punching out on most of the sections ? then move down a class.

Sorry to be so direct but that's the way I see it.

Edited by martin belair
  • Like 1

You don't like punching out on most of the sections ? then move down a class.

Sorry to be so direct but that's the way I see it.

well, in time, nobody would ride the pro class, its that very additude that has drivin many away from National events..

facts are, even at the pro level...not all can ride can clean every section.

some will punch a section...and some can clean every section.

easy to set a pro line when in fact the person that is stretching the tape has no clue how it will be done...and has never had the skill to do so..

iv set a few Trials in my day..and have scored more then a few nationals. as well as compete as much as i can.

though i dont have the skills or talent to ride at the pro level...and doubt i ever will.

i do know the guidlines on setting a safe section that will push the limits and not hurt riders.. however..i have seen some stuff that even Cody and Pat wont do, that was set at a National event..

how many riders have been back boarded out of a section with broken bodies? more then a few.

we all like to see these riders zap up a 10 foot rock face, or jump a big gap...but most of us have no idea how it was done..

we all get used to seeing the crazy stuff these riders do..and they make it look real easy....then we toss a leg over a bike, and have a hard time turning a corner with a few rollers around.. when they dont even think about that being an issue..

we have all watched the videos, and riders at our events do the crazy jumps, and spatters....they look easy...yea...no big deal...but is it? really?

do this..

next time you take that Pro Line so lightly... ride it...put a helmet on..and ride the easiest pro line set at your local trial... dont chicken out at the big ol rock that someone set.. just put the bike in 3rd gear,. reve the guts out of your bike, and hit it...flat out...and stay on the bike..all the way til you crash your brains out...

No??common...man up..dont punch through...just a rock..they do it...so can you... think about this long and hard the next time you say...dont wanna punch through...step down..

i have...i set a local event this spring...and some of the pro stuff was sketchy..iv seen our Pro guys ride stuff in the past with no issue...

so once the tape was strung..i picked the easiest pro section...and rode it...and yea..i rolled around in the dirt and rattle snakes.. and ever pro rider at the event..cleaned that section with no problem...schooled? no...however..i manned up...and rode it...put yer big girl panties on...ride one...just once..before you judge em.

yea, we all have ideas..as well as i...and our club has been using some of my ideas...and its working..our rider turn out has improved, and people are having fun.. Rules are rules..but how you enforce those rules is what keeps riders coming back.

heres the section i attempted ...Bailey makes it look easy..it wasnt..and i didnt clean that section..matter fact..i had a hard time even getting up the first rock..

Edited by chuckindenver