Double Obstacles

Evening folks,

Looking for a bit of advice and I couldn't see this previously asked. I was out practicing tonight, previously I have been clearing single obstacles by ridding slowly up to them, putting my weight over the rear and applying throttle so as to raise the front. However, I would like to be able to bring the front up from stationary...in other words go from having the clutch pulled in to realising it with throttle on such that the bike immediately raises the front without moving much further forward.

Apologises if that doesn't make too much sense... Any advice would be much appreciated, I'm still new to this; about a month owning the bike!

Cheers,

Charlie.

Sounds like you need to practice compressing the suspension and or double blip technique. Compress suspension just before you want to raIse the front wheel. As the suspension rebounds go with the upward travel with both throttle/clutch engagement and body movement to assist the lift.

hold your foot on the rear brake while working the clutch against the brake and pulling back on the bars. make sure you use your legs more than your arms by bending your knees a lot more than you might think. also it take a bit of practice to learn how to keep the rear brake on while doing this. once you start to feel this movement you will learn how much throttle and clutch to use as well as how much body movement.

i hope this makes sense

rob

Ryan Young has some great training videos

Having it described in writing is not going to work, it helps to see it happen and it helps even more if someone videos you attempting it, you can compare your movements to a pro

Sounds like you need to practice compressing the suspension and or double blip technique. Compress suspension just before you want to raIse the front wheel. As the suspension rebounds go with the upward travel with both throttle/clutch engagement and body movement to assist the lift.

Thanks for the reply, sounds like what I have been trying. Need to work on coordinating it together! Cheers.

hold your foot on the rear brake while working the clutch against the brake and pulling back on the bars. make sure you use your legs more than your arms by bending your knees a lot more than you might think. also it take a bit of practice to learn how to keep the rear brake on while doing this. once you start to feel this movement you will learn how much throttle and clutch to use as well as how much body movement.

i hope this makes sense

rob

Hi rob,

Thanks for the reply. I am currently not using the back brake at all so I will give this a try! Thanks for the tip.

I will try and get a video together showing what I am doing, might help to analyse what it is that I need to work on.

Cheers

Ryan Young has some great training videos

Having it described in writing is not going to work, it helps to see it happen and it helps even more if someone videos you attempting it, you can compare your movements to a pro

Thanks for the advice, I will definitely take a look at some Ryan Young videos and I will try and get one of myself having a go! Cheers.

When doing the double blip obstacles, make sure that on the first blip (when you lift the front wheel) you bend your knees so that on the second blip you can extend/straighten your legs to help jump the bike up. Well, that's the idea... ;)

Charlie 46 Are you talking about this or a static start at the face of two obstacles?

Hi Billy

Similar to that but imagine that the rocks were approximately a bike length apart. So you can role up to the first over it without pulling the clutch in, then stopping between them before lifting the front from standstill to clear the next?