Swm Condensor

mick

Hi all

I am thinking of moving my condensor to up by the coil under the tank, and while I am at it put a second one there.

Can anyone suggest a type of condensor they have used which has worked OK and where to get it?

Looking around there are lots of different types from various bikes.

I was thinking one with a bracket to make it easy to mount, is there a specific specification I should look for?

Mr. Nolan has lent me one with .59 Italy 10F stamped on it

Mick

There is nothing unique about the properties required for a condenser on an SWM trials bike.

The capacitance required is the same as for any other set of ignition points that have faces of a similar diameter and run a similar gap. Because of this you can safely walk into an auto electrical shop and look at the range of "points/coil" condensers and select one that has a nice mounting lug. Where you might have trouble is finding a shop that actually sells condensers for points/coil ignitions, because for many years, cars, motorbikes, chainsaws, lawnmowers, and outboard motors have not used points/coil ignitions.

The last one I bought went on my 1968 Bultaco and it was a condenser made for a 1960s Mercedes car engine. It was BOSCH brand and has a nice big lug and a long piece of cable

• Like 1

I used one for a 1978 VW 1.6L. That was a completely arbitrary year and model, but the physical size was about right, it had a mounting tab and wire, and the local NAPA had one in stock. I made a small bracket to bolt on the coil mount. It worked great, no more fouled points.