Best Bike

nottoogood

Its too hot to ride, so as a brand disloyalist, I though i should create controversy by declaring which brand is best, I am a poor "intermediate" level rider that has owned late model versions of most brands....so here goes:

4. Scorpa....nice bike, but heavy. Rides like a chopper ("raked-out" feel) and built like a tank...you never check for broken parts after a crash because nothing ever breaks.

3. GasGas...nice bike...very light. Rides a bit "jittery"...nice power...smooth shifting (but also lots of tranny failures in our club). When you crash...you do check for broken parts....and you do find some.

2. Beta...nice bike...kinda a hybrid between the heavy/sluggish Scorpa and light/nervous GasGas. Great craftsmanship and awesome power. Owners are generally too proud of these bikes to crash them...so will often "ride down" a class.

1. Sherco...nice bike...best of all worlds in the handling dept., though a bit down on power/responsiveness motor wise. Nice, light, and creates rider confidence. Things do break, but who cares as Ryan stocks everything and ships promptly.

So there you have it...notice I said all the bikes are "nice"...I have never been disappointed with any of them. But if i were riding for points in a hard section, I'd opt for a Sherco....if I was wanting to have minimal issues and just ride, I'd opt for a Beta. However, if i just wanted to have fun, they ALL ARE PERFECT.

I didn't rank Montesa...as no self-respecting rider would ever be caught dead on a 4-stroke. And Ossa/JotaGas are kinda like Bigfoot...you hear of their existence but never actually see one. Now let the character assassination begin.

• Like 3

I didn't rank Montesa...as no self-respecting rider would ever be caught dead on a 4-stroke.

OUCH!

I've never ridden one...sure would love to try.

As an aside...there's a guy near me with dozens of 2-stroke bikes in his barn and he's sort of the local 2-stroke guru/wacko.

He's been known to wear a t-shirt that says "Valves are for toilets"

• Like 1

4-strokes...i just kid. I really liked the sound of the old Sherco 320's. I remember watching Fujigas's mechanics "tune" his bike a few years ago at a world round. They had him balance on his running bike...front wheel against a huge rock....with Fuji "bouncing the rear wheel...all at idle. Without touching the throttle, the mech.'s and their PC's were able to modulate/program the bike's ECU into an "anti-stall" mode. I could use that!

If I had money! That JTG looks the Sh!!!T!

I am surprised more Gasser riders have not converted, looks the ultimate Gasser to me!

Biffsgasgas was able to get a ride on a JotaGas, and he told me it was really nice, somewhat like having a GasGas engine in a Beta frame.

2. Beta...nice bike...kinda a hybrid between the heavy/sluggish Scorpa and light/nervous GasGas. Great craftsmanship and awesome power. Owners are generally too proud of these bikes to crash them...so will often "ride down" a class.

Really you had it nailed other than this.....We just learn to throw our bodies under the bike (don't want to muss the fine Italian craftsmanship) :)

I didn't rank Montesa...as no self-respecting rider would ever be caught dead on a 4-stroke. And Ossa/JotaGas are kinda like Bigfoot...you hear of their existence but never actually see one. Now let the character assassination begin.

Thanks!

Beta 4T is by far the best...Sherco?aint that just a walmart GasGas??

Montesa?? Honda?...Sherco? Yamaha? no new tech...just some new decals and paint.

GasGas...hmmm get real good at fixing trannys..

Ossa?? has one actually finished an event without breaking??

how ya liking all that lololololol

seriously...

all are great bikes..

but none will make you a better rider... master the basics on a twin shocker...then you can ride any of em..

• 5 weeks later...

I keep reading all this "crap" about how the gasgas seems so "fragile" to everyone, but for chrysler's sake, other than a dumb part here and there, plastic Exhaust, Wisky Tango Foxtrot what were they thinking? But, just exactly like any other brand, seriously same crap different bikes? some of you all run the bike through a meat grinder and expect it to unfold like the car in the movie "

"

I have had to fix kicker gear & idler then I learned how to kick the damn things. in my long gone older bikes, almost all were a 300 pro, but never touched the ones in the 10, 11 or newer models. Parts are out there that replace original parts of the older models, usually lots better parts. I have had 2 04 300's 125's and 06 pro's and an 08 raga, 10, 11, 12 & now the 13 raga 300. just about all I ever had fail me without it being because of a bad crash/ accident, was the kicker gear, or waterpump shaft seal. the 08 ruined the spit bearing once, we concluded probably because of water in oil due to the still bad waterpump shaft/seal issues, I didnt know I needed a shaft with the seal replacements at first. When dad got my '10 Raga, and since then, dad rode these bikes pretty much a good bit of time, for 2 years in Sr Amature, then I would get them and ride Sr Expert class. He rides many days a week practicing an maybe as much as an hour or so before he'd go home for the day from the farm. Yeah, I have seen silly crap happen, when the 08 was new, a cir-clip popped off the kicker shaft, went through the outside gearbox/clutch area gears, ruined the clutch basket, so that was warranty and nothing like it since.

I fought this same stuff on all earlier model trials bikes (pre 85's) with Montesa, yamaha's that broke kickers off, shafts off. And all I can also mention is: abuse breaks things, accidents can too. the most bullet proof bike I ever had was 79 sherpa-t, yet by 84 it was a bloated TANK compared to the Fantics and everything else being offered. I watched people break those damn Bultaco's too. I actually wore mine out, worst problem I had was when crankcase seal blew, the engine got rebuilt with piston and stuff, hell someone bought it, and still rides the dang thing.

I fail to believe that Sherco doesn't fail under as tough circumstances of "damages" by most of you primates that ride them. I know last year's Sooner cup event, the sherco ridden by the top USA rider was stuck with a broken transmission. I think too many of you all, "get off" yet dont think about how we with the "Gasgas" line of bikes, we all seem to have a great grapevine, or "tell everyone" so fellow "gassers" wont be in the dark when they have any issues. Can't say it does happen with Beta, Sherco and others as much, not sure if it is the owner mentality or just luck of the draw, or the scarcity of the bikes in numbers. Hell just a week ago I learned that the 1st thing a dealer buddy of mine says to do on the beta is replace the kills switches, as they are junk. this after towing a "dead engine" 2010 or 2011 bike, 3 miles out of the back of a quarry, in a heavy rainfall trials saturday event. Again if I was light headed as some that complain, or suggest all the time what crappy fragile gasgas seems to be, they'd hate the Beta. I dont, I cant kick with my left leg, so they don't seem to have any "allure" for me, but others I will give a shot when offered.

Gasgas fits me, most I have broken since I got the 2010 is the expendable crap, like the foot brake levers (hate the new design actually bought a billet made one, that is straight and stays tucked in more than new design, take it bike to bike so far.

I just don't know. Some of you can probably break an anvil with a rubber mallet, given time.

All the above is written without malice, just in fun. sorry if you are offended in any way, lol.

• Like 1

He's got a point. I've never seen anything on the Beta forums about dodgy clutches, flakey Keihins, dribbling Mikunis, cracking EVO frames, frying stators, crap kill switches, weak main bearings, clunky head bearings, corroded water pumps or strange grounding schemes. I guess we Beta riders just don't talk to each other much. :hyper:

They all have their foibles. The one thing I can't stand is when there is an issue and the deniers come out of the woodwork. I'd much rather a manufacturer just say, "Yup, we screwed up. Where do we send the new frame."

Edited by dan williams
  • Like 2