Lanyard Kill Switch - Good Or Bad?

hoggyf

Many Good reviews. Bad Points.

Get a spare Magnet. It's a bitch if you turn up at a Trial and realise it isn't there.

Don't wave at your mates using that hand. You look a plonker as the engine stops and throws you off.

Don't loop the Lanyard too loose either. That branch could well pull it off.

• Like 1

As Telecat said, some good points and some bad, For example it's good because you flip it or take a fall it cuts the engine, But the bad points, if someone needs to get your bike out of the section for you, you have to remove it which could be a bit of a faf!

Many Good reviews. Bad Points.

Get a spare Magnet. It's a bitch if you turn up at a Trial and realise it isn't there.

Don't wave at your mates using that hand. You look a plonker as the engine stops and throws you off.

Don't loop the Lanyard too loose either. That branch could well pull it off.

Good Points, Telecat!

My new lanyard-style Kill switch is made by Leonelli. I wonder if they make spare magnets available, or if anyone knows of any good, available substitutes? BTW, I do like mine, but fortunately, haven't had the opportunity to "really try it out" yet..... :blink:

Jimmie

Lanyards are great! I now have them fitted to every bike in our family, as I once had a Gas Gas that had runaway engine, until it went BANG!! in a big and expensive way.

£26.00 is a small price to pay for peace of mind. Here in the UK you can get just the magnet & lanyards on there own.

I haven't got one but have been seriously thinking about it, they seem like a good idea and I thought (correct me if I'm mistaken) that at national events they were compulsory? I can see this flowing down to grass roots events within a couple of years, especially ACU events.

I observed an event last year and witnessed a runaway bike on my section. It all happen really fast but the rider slipped off the back of the bike and then the bike wheelied into a tree without rider, jammed throttle open then continued to bounce off various obstacles and nearly wiping out a rider in the next section until a couple of guys managed to wrestle the bike to the floor. It travelled about 20 feet without rider!

Personally I think the pros way outweigh the cons...

• Like 1

When I was a lad back in the glorious days of the late 70's early 80's my pops made "automatic" kill switches with a set of points mounted on the handlebars and a strip of non-conductive material with a string going to the wrist.

Pull out the strip from between the points and connection made to ground and bike goes kaput.

So if you want to save $$ and don't care what it looks like, you can make your own very cheaply. (just pop the points off your buddy's twinshocker...........)

• Like 3

The very first motorcycle that I ever bought, back around 1969 or 1970 was set up exactly as you described, Zippy. The guy that I bought it from used this little Honda for Hillclimbs, and wanted/needed a killswitch like this for the inevitable times when he'd need to chuck the bike..... It worked really well....

Jimmie

• Like 1

Interesting thread. I don't run a lanyard switch but considering it. If I do I would probably wire it up this way.

1) Keep the original kill switch and wire the new one in parallel so either one can be used.

2) Wire the lanyard switch so I can unplug it if I forget or lose the magnet. Then I can simply unplug it and still use the original kill switch.

3) Mount near the center of the bars with the lanyard clipped to my pants near the center of my body. Anyone who has had a tree limb snag and pull their throttle cable wide open knows why. Also, my wrist could easily get 2 feet from my bars and I could still ride but if my belly gets more than 2 feet from the bike, I am probably going a different direction then the bike - in an uncontrolled way. Weeeee! :chairfall:

This is my son at a resent trial. as you can see the lanyard is well tucked in behind the bars. Anything pulling it off would be giving him a lot of pain as well. When riding I tend to tuck any slack into my glove or under my palm.

post-2720-0-02204500-1378759163_thumb.jpg

The thing about turning up at a trial and finding you've left it behind isn't an issue as you will get into the habit of checking it of the list. bike,check. fuel,check.helmet,check. boots,check. Lanyard,check. also it lives on the bike and we loop them onto the end of the bar's.

Unless the ACU changes it's mind they will be compulsory on all bikes ridden by youth riders as of next year.

Edited by p@ul250