2001 Showa Suspension Fork Rebuild

chill winston

Hi everyone. Im working on my front fork and have a few questions about re assembling it.

First off on the spring leg im having trouble getting the guide bushing to sit down in its slot. Anyone have this issue before or have a solution. Its preventing me from getting the fork seal in.

Second of all on the damper side im unsure what position i should have the pipe when i measure the air gap. Ive set it with the fork leg down.

Next step on the damper leg is to tighten the top cap but again im not sure what position to have the inner for pipe.

When i close the cap with the fork compressed it works like a negative air spring making it hard to extend the fork leg.

When i close the cap with the inner fork leg fully extended it is hard to compress.

What is the correct way to do this?

Thank you for your input.

I'm possibly one the least experienced on here when it comes to maintaining these things but I've just done mine last week... so, at the risk of the blind leading the blind... (I'm sure if anything is incorrect then it'll prompt someone else to jump in!) :popcorn:

I used a section (2") of household waste pipe and an exhaust clamp to drive the bushing home. I used a Youtube vid in conjunction with the pdf manual (search for 'Delboys fork seals' or hit this link -

) and it all appears to have gone back together and feels good (not ridden it yet!)

The waste pipe is 40mm and the clamp is a 48mm

I measured the oil with the tube down in the leg.

I *think* I had the tube/leg fully extended when I put the top nut on.