"new" Bike In The Shop ...

axulsuv

Got it home tonight ... Took off seat and seriously rusty (inside!!!and out) gastank and checked for spark , Big blue and jumped a serious gap ! :)

Proceeded to soak bike in purple power to kill the mold and fungus growing all over it . It does have a fresh OE type airfilter in it in good shape , Still has the original fuel filter ??? ...And a set of decent Michelin's on it , so somebody cared about it at some time . The rest of the underpinnings (cables,brackets,and all the nifty stock honda stuff) looks to be un molested and stock with lots of adjustment left ... So I think I got my son a rode hard , put up wet , under a roof , but not out of the weather bike .So some carb dip and the good gas tank I was given with it and I'll see what we've got tomorrow .!!! (and my son already loves it so I've got to make it work !

Glenn

Edited by axulsuv

Well a little bit worse than I thought ! Worse carb I've ever taken off a bike in about 40 years... Bike obviously sat outside with petcock on for quite a period of time .The following foto is after getting the bowl off and 2 cans of carb spray ! GREEN slime/grunge to the point the bowl was part of the body ...post-1232-0-45008000-1379880938_thumb.jpg But after putting the carb in a bath to soak before further disassmbly , I shot some carb cleaner in the intake and gave her a kick ....

She fired right off and ran a few seconds , so it's worth the effort ! Gotta LOVE Honda's !

Glenn

There's hope yet.I started with pretty much the same type of thing....

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/538090_332598526820845_411658231_n.jpg

Ended with this...

https://scontent-a-ams.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/253315_476738012406895_629453949_n.jpg

Gas Gas forks lowered pegs and a few new bits and it's good to go.

I'll wait till the new float and valve get here , Carb cleaned up pretty good , just took a little time . I put the stock Section pegs on it for a little bigger peg for free ... It's geared 10/44 right now , so that will be a good basis for me to judge how I'll set it up for my son . He Can't wait to ride it !!! :) Still got to adjust/check the valves and change the oil after it fires on it's own . and gets a little de-carbonizing of the top end ...

And Andy M , Good Looking Bike there , I don't know how far I'll go with this reflex , kinda depends on my son's grades etc.....

Glenn

Edited by axulsuv
  • Like 1

Parts Showed up a day early !! :) Finished off the carb and fired her up . A shot or 2 of chemtool thru the carb after she warmed up and it started to run halfway decent ! Now I have to adjust the timing chain and valves , And figure out what to do with the rear muffler that is broke up and rattling inside .....Got to look around and see what I've got laying around to rectify that ....

But everything works about as it should , so will be a good bike to build up to a fun point ! :)

Glenn

Edited by axulsuv
  • Like 1

Valves adjusted and double checked etc . (damn honda frame in the way !) Timing chain quieted right down with a minor adjust... Even starts better with clean oil !!!! First test fit of exhaust repair/ (cheap customizing!!!) as the rear silencer is not worth the effort of getting the pieces out of ... A little welding work from my neighbor that builds custom headers you wouldn't want to pay for and all will work for now ! and I don't even know what or where the silencer came from/off but it was in the shop !!!....

Glenn

And yes it's held in place with a zip tye in the photo , but a little cutting / welding / drilling and it will look and work better than OE ... I rode it , off idle response is WAY !!!! better :):)

post-1232-0-67169100-1381019729_thumb.jpg

post-1232-0-11728800-1381019759_thumb.jpg

post-1232-0-69997000-1381019788_thumb.jpg