Flat Tracker Yam

shyted

Any of you American guys into flat track racing ?

Seen a cracking DT1 from the Dan Rouit flat track museum in the States and i'm going to replicate it . Go to google and type in flat tracker 2 strokes , look for his name and check out the 27th image . Oh , could really annoy the local plod with that. Tax exempt , BSI kite mark on exhaust not necessary. A big middle finger to the rules on that bike . What do you think lad's (and lasses) ?

Shy T

• Like 1

I like the "flat track" style.It's simple and elegant. Your Richie Foss has that cracking Norton.

Couldn't agree more ! Also really like Bryan Smiths Monster ER 650 Kawasaki , There is a flat track scene here in the UK,but, this sport for me belongs to the USA , the crop of riders it's thrown up is astounding . The bike's ,well ,say no more ! Edited by shyted

I'd love to build a street tracker too someday,plans are to find a DT250 or DT400 to get a street legal titled bike,lace a 18 rim to the front(Purist would do 19&19) so it can run 4.00x18 front and rear,fab a downpipe,appropriate bars and saddle,mini lights,and stack both shifter and brake on the right. Could be done dirt cheap.

Yamaha%20DT250%2074%20%201.jpg

I'd call it a show bike, real bikes are built to be ridden. It's built for looks like too many customs are these days, although it does look good.

Oversize front tyre and no fork brace will mess up handling, you see this all the time.

Tiny tank and thin seat fit the style but are no good for a road bike.

Copemech , the Triumph looks smart .

Must admit,bet that bike runs tons better with them carbs on . They look like Mikunis . Was the bike from the track converted to the road , or is it a road bike . From looking at the pic there seems to be quite a few track bike fabrications on there .

HTRdoug . My choice exactly . Run a 18 x 4.0 inch rear and 19 x 2.15 inch front (for a road going bike) co-built fork yolks and R6 RWU forks . DT 360 tank. Mick Abbey hydro-formed expansion chamber and mild tune , 36mm Mikuni with pod filter and put a fork brace on like the one fitted to Kenny roberts YZ 400 flat tracker . Convert the hubs and fit discs .

To get the Street Tracker look you have to have a fat front tire,I can't recall if there are any mounting bosses on DT forks to attach a fork brace to,only really needed if you run a strong front brake.Possibly track down some RD400 forks,bet you could even use the RD 7 spoke wheels,or if you find a good RD just build that into the Tracker...

03Mar25ChampionYamRD-2.jpg

Big square number boards(don't know the british colloquialism for what we call number plates) with hole cut out to mount projector beam head lamps,trackers don't look right with standard headlights.You guys have "daytime MOTs"? forget lights altogether! If your a real man about it you pipe must hang low and be in the way for turning right,right footpeg should hang low,left up high and tucked in as in the above rd pic. RD is the real deal,not a street bike,note the Champion frame.

Edited by htrdoug
  • Like 2

Copemech , the Triumph looks smart .

Must admit,bet that bike runs tons better with them carbs on . They look like Mikunis . Was the bike from the track converted to the road , or is it a road bike . From looking at the pic there seems to be quite a few track bike fabrications on there .

HTRdoug . My choice exactly . Run a 18 x 4.0 inch rear and 19 x 2.15 inch front (for a road going bike) co-built fork yolks and R6 RWU forks . DT 360 tank. Mick Abbey hydro-formed expansion chamber and mild tune , 36mm Mikuni with pod filter and put a fork brace on like the one fitted to Kenny roberts YZ 400 flat tracker . Convert the hubs and fit discs .

No idea as the pic was a random example I found just for idea. Fact is, nothing here is practical or comfortable as a road bike, yet for short jaunts around I could come to grips on one better than a crotch rocket type!

Htrdoug , check out the pair of 70s 2 stroke twins by Winbro racing on google . Immediate stalker on! The thing is you can't pick old RD's up here now for less than $5000 ! For a non runing pile of ***** you are paying $1500 and need to spend a bomb on them to get them something like . I had the DT in mind as it's simple and doable at a reasonable price . The bike in the photo looks **** hot !

The point here for me is simple , if you get a kick from riding a bike of your choice then that's good.Iv'e done 10 lap club races on my old Aprillia inline twin with little more than a sheet of foam under my ass and remember we all ride trials bikes and don't know about you but the seat on my GasGas is err well non existant . If i was interested in bikes as a means of day to day transport here in the UK then i would look for comfort or buy a better car . Then a fairing , heated grips (pipe and slippers) STOP! Tell me more about trackers ,do any of you go to meetings , have any of you got one ?Tell me , i'm interested !

Regards TED

HTR D ,Thank's a lot for the pics . The SR 500 is my second choice . Simple lines only seem to amplify the attraction of the first two images. The bars on the sudco bike really set it off as does the black motor and spoked wheels of the bike with plate 83 .

Great ! Strangely enough there are very few of the Harley's that i like or the ex moto crossers although without a doubt they are brilliant , just not pleasing on the eye .

Once again thanks

Ted

If you like flat trackers then check out some of the bike that the aussies have been importing to vintage race, this is 1 of the guys yetman triumphs but if you look through the topic you'll see others. Would give you some ideas of what bikes have been used

http://forum.ozvmx.com/index.php?topic=29931.0

This bike is the holy grail to a lot of guys, limited build 750 Yamaha motor

http://forum.ozvmx.com/index.php?topic=28219.0

• Like 1