Ignition Stator Plate

sadlotus

Hi all, Just aquired a Frontera 250cc/152, can't get a spark at all.

Eventually after various tests I swapped over the stator from the Sherpa 92 and it sparked straight away.

The frontera stator is gummy, dusty and covered in rust and sand.

my question is: can I leave the Sherpa stator on? - they both look the same, both have lighting coils.

Is there a performance difference between the two - between a revver and a slogger?

Thanks

Paul

Try setting the timing and cleaning the carb etc. If you are getting a spark it should

run. I'm not sure if the stator is the same on the different bikes, but there is no advance / retard, so you should be able to use it. At least if you can get it running you can clean the old stator, check the low tension coil, condenser and you should be away with that one. Someone will no doubt put you right on any difference between the two models. It's amazing what bull____ people come up with when they are trying to sell something, but I'm sure that you'll get it going. Good luck.

Running.

Used the Sherpa stator, set the points (just about)

Set the timing (just about)

Big backfire and kickback.

Second kick started.

The Frontera stator is a bit dilapidated.

Broken coil.

Anyone know what the red wire from stator is for? Seems to be the only difference.

• 1 month later...